electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Theremin
Looking for a small theremin
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dalekay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Looking for a small theremin Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My wife bought me a guitar.. Embarassed
well she did that to shut me up talking trash all the time about guitar players ... Wink being one herself and all her band members they decided it was for the best ... it's a Les Paul L-100 Epiphone ..
so, being the gear head synth nut .. I think it will find a home as input into the synths and later midi the thing as well ... but .. I been challenged by my wife to actually play the thing ... btw .. it's left handed ... that was my excuse for a long time having my wife play or another do my tracks .. not to mention all the lip I get when I have them music to play that I did key wise that is next to impossible to play on a fret device ... but that is digress .. just some back ground ..

What I am looking for is a small theremin to add to the guitar. I see the little ones on ebay but what else is out there? I would like to have it bring in input from the guitar, use that as a modulator etc.. something... not just by itself ..

any ideas or schematics to look at .. not beyond me to diy it...

dale

band web pages
Inquisitor Betrayer
New CD "Space Elevator" Get it at http://cdbaby.com/cd/inquisitorbetrayer
http://www.inquisitorbetrayer.com , http://www.myspace.com/inquisitorbetrayer , http://www.musicforte.com/member/ib_staff and
Angel's Wings http://www.soundclick.com/angelswings
iTunes http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=200365877
Podcast http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=204307934
New group for Jerome Froese Jerome_Froese@yahoogroups.com 16 year member of Tangerine Dream
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Dale! The curse of the guitar eh?

Listen, I don´t think a theremin is what you want. A theremin is in fact a pretty complete instrument and you either play it or you don´t. Instead consider actually playing the guitar patched up with a modular and vocoders and whatnot.

If you want a theremin, that Paia kit is a good start if you like to solder your own gear. It can be modded a lot. A good one.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
dalekay

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yea is it, I download the schematic a while back on it ... if it is the same one I am thinking of ...
play the guitar? Laughing
yea that is what my wife would like but I like to do what you suggest a lot ... Wink
no modulars here, well not for now.. I picked up a DSI PEK instead of going down that path for now ...

I have ebow here too ...

dale
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK, no modulars yet? Shocked Laughing That´s OK. Obviously you need some kind of guitar->midi device in order to get this going anyway. The midi output can be used for far more than note values and such.

BTW: That PEK is a gem!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have any of the Clavia modulars? NM-1, micro.. G2 ?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...i recomend an ebow and a slide....play the darn thing on yer lap, use the pek to process, and perhaps a small delay before the pek.

deknow
dalekay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Do you have any of the Clavia modulars? NM-1, micro.. G2 ?

no modulars, some analog filters to process with but I took my set a side funds for the MOTM I was saving and bought the PEK. I am not interested in Frac line of things or how some companies are only sold at certain places now then the kits getting harder to get, going surface mount etc.. I just watched the whole thing for about 2 years then said, heck with it ...
stick to Dave Smith's PEK for analog, add some more later perhaps.

So no, not going to go modular now for a few years if at all.
funds set a side was about 6k in us dollars.
I used that for the pek, my wife's 2 guitars and then she took the rest got me a guitar with a few other things here and there.

Just a case of me researching it to death then did not like what I saw happening, cost, support, needs and such ... not to say modulars are not needed or welcome, just not for me right now or near future.

dale

Last edited by dalekay on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
dalekay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
...i recomend an ebow and a slide....play the darn thing on yer lap, use the pek to process, and perhaps a small delay before the pek.

deknow

My wife uses that once in a while with her dobro ...
edited opps.. wrong .. no dorbro ..
Dean resonator 6 string ...

I seen the small pitch theremins on ebay .. they are there now ... just they are very simple pitch versions it looks like, I want to run the guitar and it out the same line and or modulate..

yea, I have not given the audio in on the PEK a try yet, have done so on the MS2000, ION, Extreme and other synths like the dark star and filters I have .. just not enough hands .. was looking for something on the side but understand your point very well ... Wink

dale

Last edited by dalekay on Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Analog modulars are great. You might however consider something like a Clavia Nord Modular, the NM micro or the G2.
Heck, Howard has an analog Moog modular and he is mainly using the G2 now. He is even considering another G2. Very Happy

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The norse gods ( by detour ) provided me with an NM-1 and I simply adore it. At first I used it as I would the Formant, the System 100m/700. The NM-1 performed perfectly and frankly compared to the capabilities in the NM-1, any old Roland modular rig is a disaster. Laughing

There are features in the G2 that I might love to get access to, but at the moment I am considering trading some old gear for more NM-1s, racks and micros.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What you could do is to build yourself a SoundLab. Get some secondhand Behringer rack effects devices ( compressor /reverb / delay ) and build a complete rack rig based on the all analouge SL. You can add a midi->CV interface and then you have a cute mad noisemaker you can integrate with the modern stuff you already own.

But do not forget that Clavia modular too!

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
dalekay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
What you could do is to build yourself a SoundLab. Get some secondhand Behringer rack effects devices ( compressor /reverb / delay ) and build a complete rack rig based on the all analouge SL. You can add a midi->CV interface and then you have a cute mad noisemaker you can integrate with the modern stuff you already own.

But do not forget that Clavia modular too!

I'll go back and review Clavia.

see http://www.inquisitorbetrayer.com/forum/ib/topic-17.html
in our forum, that is a brief list of stuff here... not far from what you describe...

I did pick up reaktor, fm7 and some other things for the XP box that acts like a synths now. I know, not analog but once to cd many don't know anyway ... just play the PEK along side the digitals and you can hear the difference right off ... I should have gone PEK before ION years back ...

dale
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

YOU ARE NOT USING THE SOUNDART CHAMELEON!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Laughing

Sorry, but you should really look into the Infiltrator skin!
You might even get support. The guy who programmed that one is an admin here.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
dalekay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
YOU ARE NOT USING THE SOUNDART CHAMELEON!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Laughing
Sorry, but you should really look into the Infiltrator skin!
You might even get support. The guy who programmed that one is an admin here.

Yea, I sold it off a few years back.. you did not notice my absence on the groups for it? most thought good riddance.. Wink

I played with a few skins and such but the real thing is time.. I no longer get that deep in programming, esp. dsp code... it was gathering dust on the rack here big time. I sold it to someone who told me he was working on a bass item.. not known how that worked out or not. nada much was going on with it and I grew not the patient type with it.

it did not even make a sound for the CD after all that too .. I did have a few tracks with it but the ION filled it's role ... I have since added a filter pro from line 6 for effects use that it was also working for. Sorry but it was a dead end project to me .. not to say again.. it's not a good item .. just not for me ... that is what I fear about the MOTM items and the rest..
After watching Robert Rich lug his around for that concert I put on for him a few years back, I really looked hard at modulars but it has to fit me and what I do or it's a dust collector.

dale
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dale, what you can do is install the Clavia G2 software demo on your computer.

The Clavia modulars are in a class of their own, or they used to be. The concept is that the soundengine is in hardware, you can load patcehs and use the instrument as a standalone. However, Clavia has saved you some huge sums of money by moving the full editor interface to a software based editor. Still, the Clavia modulars ( except the Micro and the G2 engine ) do have an excellent controller section.
The software demo includes a software based soundengine. It is not meant to be a softwarer based virtual synth, but rather just a demo of the real thing. Try that one. Taking into consideration that a modular synth is not a Triton, please invest a week or preferable a year for aquiring basic skills. This way you can get your hands on a modular synth for free. If you think this is something you need, then buy the real thing.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
except the Micro

A few years ago I saw Tommi Lindell play on just a micro, from what he did with it you wouldn't get the idea that the micro has no user interface, it was amazing.

But indeed in an absolute sense three knobs + a button is not much of a user interface.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
elektro80 wrote:
except the Micro

A few years ago I saw Tommi Lindell play on just a micro, from what he did with it you wouldn't get the idea that the micro has no user interface, it was amazing.

Yes, I was there and heard that too. It was beautiful, like a expertly played Theremin. I was standing outside on the deck chatting with Joker when out of the mix of the jam came this wonderful expressive sound. We stopped our conversation and went into the room were people were playing. Tommi was just holding that little red box and twisting a few knobs. Everyone in the room was stunned.

Thanks for mentioning that, Jan. It brings back wonderful memories.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
It brings back wonderful memories.

Yes we had a good time there on the beach Very Happy

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For those that don't know what we are talking about, see: http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-2663.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fldrvr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For a theremin-like device that can be used with guitar, check out the z. vex line of 'Probe' pedals, such as the Wah Probe, etc. Has a plate that controls the effect by the proximity of your hand, just like a theremin. Also, check out Matt Bellamy of the UK band Muse, he's had some of those z. vex effects installed directly into the guitar.
Gordon Charlton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another option would be to buy a cheap one-stick theremin, put it on a mic stand, connect both it and your guitar to a passive ring modulator or some other effect that takes two inputs, then wave the head of your guitar in the control zone to vary the tone the theremin generates while you play the guitar.

I haven't tried a one-stick in real life, but as far as I can tell from online research the Theremaniacs model (http://www.theremaniacs.com/) seems to have a good tone and a sensibly sized control zone.
dalekay

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I picked up a GR-20 and it's GR-3 pickup for my Les paul ... there is some direct midi out now to the synths ..
the stand with guitar sounds workable but will require some fore thought for sure ...

I am looking more at a MOOG type these days not so much the little photo box on the guitar ....

dale

Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Theremin
Jump to: