electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Artists » Seraph
Seraph: Nick's Lounge+Jingle Bells
Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Seraph: Nick's Lounge+Jingle Bells Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

New .mp3 uploaded yesterday: Nick's Lounge. I would be glad to hear some comment. (Actually it's not a new piece, I found it on my HD and I wonder if it's good or it sucks. I will let you know once I get some comments. Thanks in advance)
An old .mid file I wrote for my piano students: an arrangement of traditional Jingle Bells.
The .mid file is at:
http://go.berkleemusic.com/seraph
on the left side of the page (top=.mp3, bottom=.mid)

arrow Listen to Nick's Lounge

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer

Last edited by seraph on Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:10 pm; edited 5 times in total
Dovdimus Prime

Audio files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ooh more Seraphim sounds.

The jingle bells arrangement is pretty cool. A good deal jauntier than usual versions I've heard.

This Lonesome one is very good. I find the repeating theme underneath it all gets a bit too repetitive, but all the melodies you chuck on top are very lyrical - very nice indeed.

Urrr - and then it just suddenly cuts off. Eh??

The Lounge Music thingy doesn't do a lot for me. I mean, you know, fine in terms of production and that, but not something I'd stick on my walkman.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have no idea of what lounge music is, but if there was a lounge around here that play this music, I'd hang out there. I assume it's intended as a sort of background music.

I like this a lot. It sounds very professional. It would work as movie music I think. Great sounds. The percussion is not overstated and has interesting changes. I'll drink to this one... beer drunken and for a Dutch lounge happy smoker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This one is greta. I reckon you by lounge music mean stuff like St. Germain -Tourist and similar stuff.. and some of the buddah Bar stuff?
This one is perfect and more intersting than much of I have heard in this genre.. Very Happy
I have to check out that other one... you say you played Jingle Bells in like of Captain Beefheart vs. Grandmaster Flash ?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey... Lonesome is excellent.. like TD / von Düren / with some norwegian folk musicians.
Perhaps the guitar/langeleik/strummy part could be sloppyficated so it sounds less sequenced.

You have this project still .. as midi files etc?

BTW: Did you ever get to hear Michael Hoenig: departure from the northern wastelands. It might be pretty dated now, but he has some great ideas and he takes his stuff in a completely different direction than TD ever did. He has very good ideas in how to layer monophonic sequences and he has some very interesting pattern downbeats going on. Did I ever mail you that interview I scanned from an old keyboard mag issue .. like from 1977?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Carlo.. did I ever tell you that I play the full jazz version of that Minor Sample when I make espresso .. every morning about 06.55
I found that is an excellent habit and the coffee is great too!

I have it on a mac in the kitchen.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Carlo.. did I ever tell you that I play the full jazz version of that Minor Sample when I make espresso .. every morning about 06.55.
that's very sweet of you...it's a jump-start but...wait a minute, is it true Question

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a mac with a timer and a playlist.
I brush my teeth to "Too sexy for my T-shirt".. then the espresso to the minor sample jazz thingie..
Then I read the newspaper while carmina burana is thundering away.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
I have a mac with a timer and a playlist.
I brush my teeth to "Too sexy for my T-shirt".. then the espresso to the minor sample jazz thingie..
Then I read the newspaper while carmina burana is thundering away.

that's what I call iLife Exclamation

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I have no idea of what lounge music is

me neither Shocked
mosc wrote:
I like this a lot. It sounds very professional. It would work as movie music I think.
thanks Howard

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
This one is perfect and more intersting than much of I have heard in this genre.. Very Happy
the guy that commissioned it to me said that it was too busy ("the material you used was enough for three/four pieces") Shocked ...and I thought it was boring Rolling Eyes

Quote:
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

You have this project still .. as midi files etc?

it was all done with Reason. I could save it as a midi file to be exported anywhere.
elektro80 wrote:
BTW: Did you ever get to hear Michael Hoenig?
Did I ever mail you that interview I scanned from an old keyboard mag issue .. like from 1977?
no, to both questions Very Happy

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too busy??? He was having a serious hangover that day?

boring? Not really.. but this is pretty much how that genre music shuld sound anyway. Only big difference is that you are not using the same loops that everyone else is using and then not letting them ride for 9 minutes while you have lunch.
Who commisioned this?

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr

Last edited by elektro80 on Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Only big difference is that you are not susiang the same loops atht everyone else is using and then lettiung them ride for 9 minutes while you have lunch
are you drunk Question anyway I think I deciphered what you meant: sometimes I listen to songs that are not much more than a single loop repeated over and over again and I feel embarrassed for the "composer" (so to speak)

Quote:
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think he said he thought the guy who said your music was boring must have been drunk.

I agree...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
I think he said he thought the guy who said your music was boring must have been drunk.

I agree...

oh....I see now Idea Thanks Howard for your help Laughing

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be it... yes... Cool

"mebbe if nått djonk then hi wuz sofferoing fjom some Freudian syndrjome.. "

Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
"mebbe if nått djonk then hi wuz sofferoing fjom some Freudian syndrjome.. "

Shocked

"maybe if you were not suffering from some Freudian syndrome.."
is that so Question

Quote:
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

....impossible to say really... and pay some serious attention to the fact that I am not praising the omnipotent art of Dick right now. If I had, it would have been seriously misunderstood. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
pellejones

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Seraph!

I had a listen to Nemo Variations and Lonesome, and I must say that Lonesome was awesome! Really it was cool.

I'm listening to Nick's Lounge now, and I love that one as well.
Lonesome and Nick's Lounge are sure keepers!

Are you using reason (I thought I read something about that in this thread)? If so, what refills are you using, if any? The thing is this that I've got me a contract for a movie score, and I'm having trouble making stuff sound good. I mainly use strings and pianos. But still.

Please have a listen at these two variations of the same demo. It's the song that landed me the contract.

Demo 4
Demo 4 lite

Thank you Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pellejones, great music. Very beautiful. I like this. You deserve to get your film gig.

Both tracks have their charm. The first one is more dramatic, the drums give it a degree of excitement. I like that you keep them down in the mix; a little louder and they would have taken over and ruined the mood that the piano and strings have set.

Thanks for sharing this with us. Well done...
seraph
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pellejones wrote:

Lonesome and Nick's Lounge are sure keepers!

thanks Smile

pellejones wrote:
Are you using reason (I thought I read something about that in this thread)? If so, what refills are you using, if any?Please have a listen at these two variations of the same demo. It's the song that landed me the contract.

Lonesome is done exclusively using Reason, the other one uses a variety of things: the loops come from GrooveMaker (IK Multimedia), imported into Logic etc.
Refills? Thanks to Propellerhead Reload I have converted many of my AKAI S1000 CDROMs into refills. I have too many Gb of stuff to remember which ones I used for Lonesome. It's the truth, believe me!

I am listening to demo4. it's very nice and well suited to be used as a movie soundtrack. Good job!

pellejones wrote:
Thank you Very Happy

you are welcome Very Happy

Quote:
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pellejones wrote:
Please have a listen at these two variations of the same demo. It's the song that landed me the contract.

Very nice work. Of the two I also like the first better. The strings in the high and low registers are excelent. But those in the middle register (the line starting at ~1:27) feel a little hard edged and might benefit from softening by layering with other strings. If you could get hold of a motif they have a couple string voices that may do what you want.

But again,very good work.

pellejones

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What is a "motif"? If it is a synth, I'm lost hehe! I only use Software, and I have a Yamaha CS1x that I don't really like. My favorite synth is the Waldorf Microwave XT.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
bachus

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pellejones wrote:
What is a "motif"? If it is a synth, I'm lost hehe! I only use Software, and I have a Yamaha CS1x that I don't really like. My favorite synth is the Waldorf Microwave XT.

Yea, the Yamaha Motif, actually I have the S90 which has the same voices and engine. It's available in many flavors including a rack module. It has a lot of sounds that I think would fit well with movie scoring. I wouldn't dismiss it as inappropriate to your needs without playing with it a bit. I have the Vienna Symphonic Library Pro Edition and for strings I still layer it with several hardware synth strings to get a good soft effect. But of course it all depend on what sound, you're looking for. BTW, The Motif sounds nothing in the world like the CS1x.

Page 1 of 2 [38 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Seraph
Jump to: