electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
guitar to midi converter w/ guitar tuner (single notes only)
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
soundklang

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject:  guitar to midi converter w/ guitar tuner (single notes only)
Subject description: play external stuff (or any patch in a slot) using an electric guitar
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i wanted to do this from the beginning. inspired by edo's patch, this is a monophonic guitar to midi converter (playing chords gives uncontrollable results).

it has latency, but not too bad. it recognizes audio level and transmits it as midi note on velocity. no pitch bend though (is there any way to transmit midi pitch bend from a g2 patch?).

in order to recognize the correct pitch, the guitar must produce the right pitch in the first place. it is very important to keep your guitar in tune. this patch comes with a build in guitar tuner with visual feedback on the frontpanel knobs.

i spend a lot of work in trying different layouts and fine tuning the parameters. this patch worked with three different electric guitars (but always the same audio hardware). i hope it works for you, too. probably you could use electric bass, too. of course you can finetune internal settings for optimum performance with your setup. please, make a backup copy, just in case ... (i did, and i needed it).

load this patch into slot b to play any other patch in slot a. or change the output settings of the midi modules as you need.

the following is also in the textpad:
----------------------------------------
guitar to midi converter w/ guitar tuner
(for single notes only)

always first:
- directly plug guitar into g2 (no processing/distortion)
- tune your guitar! (see below)
- legato might miss some notes; play staccato w/ distinctive attack whenever possible
- playing styles: plektrum, fingers, thumb, picking
- mute unplayed strings
- audio in level: decrease - avoid "phantom" notes; increase if you have to play too hard for producing notes
- note send module: set to destination midi channel or slot
- ctrl send modules (of tuner): set to the patch's slot

front panel:
- midivel: base level of midi velocity
- wait: increase - less wrong notes, decrease - faster response
- e1 to e3 tune: strike one string at a time and tune until middle led is lit (value around 50)

internal parameters:
- caution: easy to mess it all up with wrong parameters
- new note attack threshold: carefully decrease - less missed legato notes; increase - avoid falsely retriggered notes

make music!

GuitarToMidi.pch2
 Description:
load this patch into slot b to play any other patch in slot a. or change the output settings of the midi modules as you need.

Download
 Filename:  GuitarToMidi.pch2
 Filesize:  6 KB
 Downloaded:  1905 Time(s)

soundklang

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just a small update. added a detection for pitch changes. it is possible to use playing styles like hammer on/off or eddie van halen stuff.

i also want to keep the expectations low. this is not working for high speed players. every now and then the patch produces a wrong note. sometimes good for jazzy feeling, sometimes just wrong. too unreliable to use in live situations.

my experience is, that when i know what i wanna play, then i have to find out, how to play it in a way that the patch produces the best result. it seems there is no rule and it is also depending on the synth sound. some hints:
1) the middle or neck pickup seems to work better than the bridge pickup
2) results seem to be better from the 5th fret and up. also better on the lower strings, than on the high strings. i use octave shift for the synth sound if possible.
3) left hand first - striking the string too early produces errors
4) playing too hard seems to confuse the patch
5) try play a three note chord - when there is noise like that while playing a single note line, there's probably an empty string or an unwanted flageolet resonating

not always, but in general: the cleaner the playing the better the results.

i made a short demo, to give you an idea of what is possible and what is not (rhythm loops not made with this patch). notice how in the outro wrong notes occur. also the timing is not what it should be. i am a poor player, but i think this is caused by the latency.

still, this patch is a way to play your synth with your guitar. that's easier for me. if you record the output as midi instead of audio, you keep complete control on the timing, notes and so on.

so, it's not too good, but it's also not too bad.

GuitarToMidi.pch2
 Description:
load into slot b to control any patch in slot a. or change the output configuration of the midi modules.

Download
 Filename:  GuitarToMidi.pch2
 Filesize:  6.34 KB
 Downloaded:  1850 Time(s)

GuitarToLectric.mp3
 Description:
short demo. audio recording. timing as originally played. rhythm loops from www.soundsnap.com.

Download
 Filename:  GuitarToLectric.mp3
 Filesize:  1.8 MB
 Downloaded:  1220 Time(s)

buzzr

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very cool!
Sourultrafast

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm trying to adapt this patch to a 5 string bass. More to come about it, I'll let you know when it's done
ReaktorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool ! What method did you use ?
Sourultrafast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For now, i changed the range of the filters that seperates the strings and of couple of other things that I forgot (I'm posting this where there is no G2 at hand)
jufros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Roughly how bad is the latency?
soundklang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: latency ... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

... in the original patch is bad. if you want to play "real" grooves without editing them at the midi level, this patch is not what you want. if you want to get some ideas into your sequencer and quantize them after recording, the patch may be useful.

www.soundklang.com
jufros

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok got ya. Can't really use the G2 for live guitar->midi? How does it compare to using a hex pickup?
soundklang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: latency Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i feed a roland gk-2a pickup on a squier strat into a yamaha g50 and get much(!) better results. the patch is not intended for live situations. it sometimes produces wrong notes.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Audio In
Jump to: