electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
How does the streaming setup work?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: How does the streaming setup work? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've suggested on a swedish music forum that we try to do a little streaming event over there, since it has been such fun and success over here. A question arose about how much bandwidth and server power you'd need to handle it all, and I realise that i don't know much about what happens after the audio stream leaves my house and enters the server that I've specified in EdCast.

So, I don't want to capitalise too much on y'all's hard-earned lessons, but could you tell a little bit about how it works, if it's hard to set up a central server like here? I know there's some work involved with switching and stuff, making you stream operators sweat a little bit every now and then. If it comes to it we could just try to broadcast each on his own and send out urls I guess if it's too much of a hassle.

/Stefan

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Currently we use a handful of Shoutcast servers. One of those is the main server that people tune in to listen to the stream. The other shoutcast servers are the private servers to which people connect to beam up their music. The main server then is set to relay the stream from a selected private server. To make this setup a bit easier Howard made some tools foe us, but it can also be done mannually from the config file of the main server - after each config change servers have to be restarted to effectuate the change.

Then there is a variation on this where a stream op connects to a private server and re-beams the stream on his own private server. This way the main server can be set up fixed to relay the stream ops private server, and the stream op can tune in to the various other private ports to mix those or fade from one to another.

There is a third way to do things with just one shoutcast server, in this setup people connect and when done they disconnect so the next one will be able to connect. This is what we use for the public / open port (8056).

Server load is not very heavy on this, about any five year old computer would do the trick I say. Bandwidth needs to be considered though ... basically it's just stream rate multiplied by number of listeners, but don't pack it too tight of course.

When you would want to use the electro-music infra structure .. that's definitely an option too. How and what would depend a bit on how many people want to join, what model you'd want to use, the expected maximum numbers of listeners, whether there is another show going on etc.

Anyway, feel free to ask away here :-)

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great info, thanks! Smile Seems there are some options on how to do things.

Using electro-music.com's infrastructure could be awesome, but 99musik isn't strictly about electronic music.

Ayway I'm just checking the territory, there's nothing saying it will happen at all yet, so we'll see.

/Stefan

nobody

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Let us know how it goes. I've been thinking about doing my own streaming, too. I know I don't have the bandwidth to have an audience connect directly to my server.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » Streaming Radio Station
Jump to: