electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Synthasystem
Rack and Roll
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dingebre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Rack and Roll Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got the first rack assembled and the VCO, VCF, and EG installed. Their placement will change as I build more modules, etc. but for now it's fun to have these three together. I'll really try to get some audio and/or video of the things working.

IMG_5111_resize.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  219.5 KB
 Viewed:  713 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

IMG_5111_resize.JPG

IMG_5112_resize.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  244.42 KB
 Viewed:  755 Time(s)

IMG_5112_resize.JPG

IMG_5113_resize.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  303 KB
 Viewed:  703 Time(s)

IMG_5113_resize.JPG

dingebre@3dphysics.net
http://www.xmission.com/~dingebre/Synthasystem.html
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice to see your feet and toes David! Shocked Laughing Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
dingebre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Nice to see your feet and toes David! Shocked Laughing Very Happy

Yes, freakishly long. My toes are as long as some peoples fingers! Smile

David

dingebre@3dphysics.net
http://www.xmission.com/~dingebre/Synthasystem.html
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's a beautiful project. I think we're all waiting in anticipation to hear what it sounds like. Cool
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
RSFC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

V-UN-V,
You can hear my build of the VCF here:
http://soundcloud.com/search?q%5Bfulltext%5D=steiner+vcf
Note that there is variation on the self oscillation depending on how loud your input is. My input was loudish on this recording. This is mostly just a Livewire AFG osc straight to filter.
kjackman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice and juicy, that filter. Definitely has that typical diode-based, crisp nasal quality a la the TB-303. Would love to hear some bass lines done on that thing.

I like that the response changes with the input somewhat; it's that kind of thing that gives a filter a subjective "character" and sets it apart from other filters. It's the kind of quirk that begs to have music made from it!

This filter is still on my near-term build list (it's probably the first filter I'll build), but I'm just starting out in DIY, and stocking all the parts I'm going to need for that first run of modules is taking longer than I thought it would. I need to knuckle down and order the PCBs from you - but to be honest, they'd just sit in a drawer for the next month or two while I continue filling my parts drawers and obtaining test equipment like an o-scope (yeah, still need one of those, and the one I got on eBay arrived damaged, what a headache).
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kjackman wrote:
Nice and juicy, that filter. Definitely has that typical diode-based, crisp nasal quality a la the TB-303. Would love to hear some bass lines done on that thing.

Except that the 303's ladder is transistor based! So is the Steiner I think? (And, correct me if I'm wrong, it's not a ladder either). The Steiner is just unusual because it has high bandpass and low as inputs rather than outputs. The two things that you may be confusing is that the EMS Synthi had a diode ladder with a response of 18 dB/Oct which is also the same as the TB303. That's where the confusion may lie. Smile

RSFC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kjack,
Yeah, I really like the filter. It can be smooth and very aggressive. You don’t need an oscilloscope to build the filter. Sourcing parts can be a pain, it’s probably my least favorite aspect of DIY. David offers alternative options for hard to find parts. I used individual transistors in the place of the matched pair packages, for instance.
kjackman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, good point. I'll need the o-scope for the VCO, but I can certainly build the filter first while I wait.
kjackman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
Except that the 303's ladder is transistor based!

Ah, but the transistors are diode-connected: the bases are tied to the collectors. They act like diodes, although breakdown voltages are (I guess) different than they would be for "regular" diodes (maybe; I'm no EE).

From the schematics (PDF), it looks like the Steiner is indeed diode-based as well. Awesome!
RSFC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kjackman wrote:
Oh, good point. I'll need the o-scope for the VCO, but I can certainly build the filter first while I wait.

It does self oscillate. Who needs a VCO? Laughing
You can run other stuff through the filter in the meantime.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Synthasystem
Jump to: