electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
mono monster!
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
varice

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 54

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: mono monster!
Subject description: A monsterous monophonic synth!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

"mono monster VM" - A monsterous monophonic synth!

Why is it a monster? Because it is a huge, ugly, DSP Patch Cycle eating monstrosity!

This patch is based on the "MiniMoogy G2" patch posted in the Classics patch subforum. This one retains some of the minimoog features like octave pitch range switches - pink noise, red noise and Osc 3 as audio range modulation sources.

Some new features:

There are three oscillators, from each one any combination of three waveforms can be crossfaded - triangle, sawtooth, and pulse. The pulse waveform has adjustable pulse width. The edge of the sawtooth is phase synched with the peak of the triangle (just like the mini oscillators), as is the leading edge of the pulse wave. Osc 2 and Osc 3 have ultra fine keyboard tracking detuning adjustments.

There are two LFOs with wave shaping. The filter frequency can be modulated by a crossfade mix of LFO1/Osc3/Noise and LFO 2.

There are three ADSR envelope generators, one each for oscillator pitch, filter frequency, and amplitude.

The effects include EQ, phaser, delay, stereo chorus, and reverb.

This patch is designed to be tweaked from the G2 front panel. Check out all the knob/button assignments.

mono monster VM.pch2
 Description:
A monsterous monophonic synth!

Download
 Filename:  mono monster VM.pch2
 Filesize:  7.75 KB
 Downloaded:  2819 Time(s)

varice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Newer Version Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a newer version of the patch. The sound engine is basically the same, but several features and changes have been added.

The filter and amp envelope generators have been moved to the VA section of the patch to get around a bug reported here.

The “Keyboard Tracking Detune” scheme has been replaced with what I think is a better and easier to use ultra fine linear frequency detune for each of the three oscillator banks.

The sync scheme to keep the oscillators within a bank in proper locked phase has been improved. These properly phase locked oscillator outputs match what many analog multiwaveform VCOs produce and can be crossfaded to create unique timbres that you cannot normally get from any of the G2 oscillators. Tip: You can recreate the unique Minimoog “sharktooth” wave by setting the “TriSaw” crossfade to -49 in log mode (-41 when in lin mode) and the “RamPuls” crossfade set to -64 (100% trisaw, 0% pulse).

The oscillator pitch and filter EGs each have a velocity sensitivity crossfader added like the amp EG.

A glide module for the filter cutoff keyboard pitch has been added.

A stereo balance control has been added (after the stereo chorus and before the reverb).

The noise generator section has been tweaked to produce a more accurate pink noise signal.

Several front panel knob and switch assignments have been added, moved, or deleted.

Note: The filter LFO modulation amount by default is mapped to the “G. Whl. 1” morph group so that I can control it with the Global Mod Wheel 1 on my G2X. If you don’t have a G2X, you will need to reassign the “Mod GW1” mixer module knob so that you can tweak it with another controller.

I have another version of this patch that is modified to use with my analog moogerfooger LPF (instead of the G2 “Classic Filter”). It is my go-to workhorse mono synth patch. I also maintain this non-fooger version for when I need more than one mono synth patch for a perf. It still sounds pretty much like the real Moog filter version.

To me, it seems to work faster for me to start with a fully loaded patch that can be quickly tweaked to the sound that I want. If I then need to make it less DSP resource hungry, I can quickly delete unused modules. This seems much faster than trying to build a mono patch from scratch each time…

mono monster VM.pch2
 Description:
Newer version of the mono monster patch.

Download
 Filesize:  8.05 KB
 Downloaded:  2770 Time(s)

varice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Another mono monster version Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I’m way past due for sharing some patches instead of just lurking, so…

Here is another version of the mono monster patch. There are many changes.

The edge and phase of the pulse waveform is not correct in the previous versions (now on OS 1.40). I thought that I had checked that carefully with my scope back when I built the first patch in 2005. Did Clavia change something about the OscShpB module since then, or did I just mess that up? Embarassed Anyway, this version now has the phase of the triangle, sawtooth, and pulse/square waveforms aligned properly in each oscillator bank (like the waveforms produced by the CEM VCO IC chip used in the Prophet-5 rev3 and many other analog synths). But this phase correction required a more DSP hungry oscillator bank patch, so to keep a 3 Osc bank synth, I had give up the noise source section and the audio rate modulation of the Osc banks. By using the OscShpB module though for both the triangle and pulse waves, this allowed two new features. The triangle wave shape now can be continuously morphed from a triangle to a ramp up or ramp down sawtooth wave. The phase of pulse/square wave can now be shifted relative to the phase of triangle/sawtooth waveforms in each oscillator bank using the associated P Phase offset knob. Tip: Normally the fundamental frequency of the square wave is shifted by 90 degrees when the P Phase offset knob is set at the value of 0. By setting the value to +32, the fundamental of the square wave is in phase with the fundamental of the triangle and will result in a strong fundamental frequency when the triangle and square waves are crossfaded together. A great waveform for powerful bass and mellower lead sounds (check out Variations 1 and 8 ). Setting the value to -32 will put the square wave 180 degrees out of phase with the triangle wave, stripping much of the fundamental frequency of a triangle/square crossfade, resulting in a wave shape that cannot be produced by any of the G2 oscillator modules alone (check out Variation 2). Also note that the phase of the pulse/square wave is only updated on the rising edge of a new note gate signal and that the min/max settings of the P Phase offset (-64 and +64) do not work (the value must be greater than -64 and less than +64).

The delay and reverb sections in the FX area now have input faders/switches. The G2 delay and reverb modules have only dry/wet mixers/bypass switches on the output. This is not ideal when switching variations, where you desire the natural delay decay/reverb tail in the sound of a previous variation after switching to another variation with no delay and/or reverb selected for the new voice. Also, the reverb module is too easy to overload, so I find that an input fader set to -6dB or more to be very useful.

The delay section in the FX area of this patch uses a FltClassic filter module in the feedback loop. This module produces a nice overdrive distortion along with adjustable high frequency cutoff filtering. At a unity gain or greater feedback (FB knob) setting, the result will be an increasingly distorted regeneration sound which resembles the type of high feedback distorted sounds that analog bucket brigade type delays produce. Tweaking the Delay FB, LPF cutoff Freq, Res, and HPF cutoff Freq knobs will provide many different delay sound flavors.

The reverb section in the FX area of this patch has an alternative mode selection, Output B. Normally, either Output A (the default output of the reverb module) or Output B should be selected. The reverb module has resonant and interference (cancelation) frequency nodes, depending on the reverb Type and Time settings. Selecting Output B will give a different resonant/interference result in the Left and Right mix (stereo) outputs. Output B does not really sound better than Output A, but it just gives a different reverb sound for a particular audio frequency input.

The function of the Saturate module used to distort the Oscillator mix sound before the filter input has been changed. Unfortunately, the Saturate module produces a lot of undesirable digital aliasing noise, even at low settings. The Saturate modulation amount is now tracking the note value in a manner in which higher notes will produce less saturation (and therefore less aliasing noise).

With the removal of the noise section as a sound source for the Mixer, that former noise input is now free. This patch uses this input for a 1 sample delay positive feedback loop, the feedback amount adjusted with the Drive knob. This is an old but very nice mixer feedback trick that provides an adjustable mix boost along with a high frequency rolloff.

mm 3 Osc VM.pch2
 Description:
Another mono monster version

Download
 Filename:  mm 3 Osc VM.pch2
 Filesize:  9.16 KB
 Downloaded:  4564 Time(s)

varice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:30 pm    Post subject: A lower DSP load 2 Oscillator mono monster version Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The “mm 3 Osc VM” patch is a DSP load hog Twisted Evil Exclamation If you only need a 2 Oscillator bank mono monster synth without a pitch EG and second LFO, here is a lower DSP load patch to use.

This one has a selectable pink or white noise source. The pink noise source has a midrange EQ boost added to tweak it into a better pink noise spectrum than the previous mono monster pink noise sources. Check out Variation 6 for a high resonance filter sweep of the pink noise source Cool

Check out the variations. Variation 8 is a possible emulation of a sound that might be produced by the new Moog MiniTaur bass synth (a mix of square wave and a slightly detuned sawtooth transposed up by 1 octave).

Enjoy Exclamation

mm 2 Osc VM.pch2
 Description:
A lower DSP load 2 Oscillator mono monster version

Download
 Filename:  mm 2 Osc VM.pch2
 Filesize:  7.86 KB
 Downloaded:  4599 Time(s)

varice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a new "mono monster VM" version patch. This one uses three oscillator banks based on the more DSP efficient and accurate CEM3340 oscillator bank building block patch “CEM Osc Bank b” posted here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-51909.html

This patch has the new features of the patches posted above except for the triangle-to-sawtooth shape morphing and the last pink noise tweak (no more DSP in the VA for that Exclamation ).

mono monster VM.pch2
 Description:
New version based on a better CEM3340 osc bank

Download
 Filesize:  9.33 KB
 Downloaded:  4779 Time(s)

Electromagnetic Wave

G2 patch files: 38

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love to learn from this patch. Very helpful for me. Thanks to spot the issue with "the EG modules when placed in the FX area" in another topic. Smile

I play with the last "mono monster" patch you post. Have you tried to recreate a sound from somewhere? Variation 1 and 8 are so close from a song of Infected Mushroom (Send Me an Angel).

Variation 8 at 5m15. I edit a little bit the Pitch Env and the filter and WOW.

Variation 1 at 5m30. Just edit the Amp Env and the Filter. This variation is so close than I get a big phase issue with the sound in the song when I play it on my NMG2 together.

Variation 1 is more a traditional lead sound than the Variation 8 but Im surprised to get 2 variations so close from 1 song into the same patch.

I don't want to talk about the evolution of the style of music of Infected Mushroom here. But I think it's always nice to hear the sounds they create.
varice

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electromagnetic Wave wrote:
I love to learn from this patch. Very helpful for me...

I’m glad that you like this mono monster patch.

...I play with the last "mono monster" patch you post. Have you tried to recreate a sound from somewhere? Variation 1 and 8 are so close from a song of Infected Mushroom (Send Me an Angel)...

...Variation 1 is more a traditional lead sound than the Variation 8 but Im surprised to get 2 variations so close from 1 song into the same patch...

No, I didn’t try to recreate any particular synth sounds from songs in the Variations. I only wanted to demonstrate the variety of synth sounds that this patch is capable of, and provide some starting points for further tweaking. It was a design goal from the start to have one patch that could easily be tweaked to create just about any monophonic type lead or bass synth sound.

dNRML

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I play with the last "mono monster" patch you post. Have you tried to recreate a sound from somewhere? Variation 1 and 8 are so close from a song of Infected Mushroom (Send Me an Angel).

It is entirely possible that they used the patch in this thread. That release was May 8, 2012 which is just after this patch was posted here.

I know Infected Mushroom use a G2 quite a lot.. I believe it is their sound design weapon of choice. This forum is probably the biggest source of nord modular patches and discussions so it wouldn't be a big suprise if this were the case.

Im not criticizing them, I think if a sound fits and you didn't make the patch, use it anyway. No sense in making the same patch yourself! Smile
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Patches - Completed » Synth
Jump to: