electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Looking for a couple Midi plugin/filter/processors
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Looking for a couple Midi plugin/filter/processors Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been looking around on KVR and done some searching but haven't been able to find some midi plugins I could really use.

A Midi Channel filter. I need to be able to select multiple channels to let thru while blocking others. It must allow all contoller data on the allowed channels to pass.

I'm looking to use this on a track in Reaper that I'll be controlling with my Linnstrument. Reaper allows None, All or individual channels but I've found no way to set it to only allow channels 1-8 for example. I want to run Bazille in the track and take advantage of its expressive control capability (MPE). Linnstrument can send up to 8 channels and can be split....so one side could use channels 1-8 and the other 9-16. Unfortunately Reaper would allow all 16 channels in..

The other plugin is a Midi LFO plugin that allows me to output the LFO to Aftertouch. There is one in Reaper (JS extensions) but it won't let me assign Aftertouch as a target. I'm looking at using this along with my PAiA 9700 Midi-to-CV module to control my Arp 2600. I have Silent Way and ES3 but I'm looking to use this at EM 2015 and the 9700 has it's own power supply making it more portable then the ES3/power supply option..

EDIT: So I found the CableGuys MidiShaper. Looks pretty cool and would do the job....$30 Any free out there?

I'm pretty sure these are out there somewhere...I would appreciate any help in finding them. Smile

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Plogue Bidule is pretty usefull for this sort of thing, not free though but very flexible.

The way I do this in Live is to have 8 tracks for the midi input, one per channel. These are then routed to a track containing the plugin. These can then be grouped into a group track. I'm sure you can do something similar in reaper.

How are you getting on with the linnstrument?
DES

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In Live I do the same thing. Mostly for melody parts I'll limit the channels to say 4 (that Linnstrument will send on) and then set up 4 tracks in live. Lately I've been using it with Absynth and having fun. The problem is if you want to use something like Bazille your cpu load can get real high because Bazilke is pretty cpu intensive. In Reaper I can put Bazille on one track and feed all the channels into it and it works fine...MPE and all. However if I want to split Linnstrument...the Bazille channel will still receive all 16 channels...which is why I want the filter. To be clear I'm talking about playing the synth...as for re ording I haven't looked into how Reaper handles MPE expression data. Cubase does a great job of allowing you to edit individual notes expression data.

I'm really liking the Linnstrument. Of course it helps being a Stick player wrt playing with the right hand. My left hand has some issues playing chords as the angle just isn't optimum for me. I suspect that will change with more practice. I did talk to Roger about allowing the row pitch to be inverted...like the Stick, but he didn't seem too convinced Smile. Well, he's a guitarist so.... lol. Actually I can see the benefit of being able to set a rows octive individually instead of in relation to the previous row. If you run split mode and then row per channel you could technically have 16 synths. Would be nice to select the optimum octave per row/channel in this case.

There really is a lot that can be done with it. I'm looking forward to working with it more. Going to use it at EM -hopefully won't embarass myself Smile

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Des,

In Live you can just use one instance of plugins that support multi channel midi like Bazille and route the midi to the correct track, you no not need to replicate the plugin.

I have included an image showing Live with one instance of bazille using 8 channels from my Linnstrument.

I also find playing chords with my left hand on the linnstrument difficult and I'm a guitar player, my left hand seems upside down to me!

screenshot_131.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.02 KB
 Viewed:  735 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

screenshot_131.png

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Des,

I looked how to do it in reaper.

First create an instrument track with Bazille on it, set midi in to none.

Now add 8 midi tracks, set each track to the linnstrument and correct channel.

Now select all 8 midi tracks and drop them onto the Bazille track, now the midi tracks are "owned" by the Bazille track and the midi from them is automatically routed to the plugin.

Enable record monitoring on the midi tracks and off you go.

I have included an image.

Cheers

Andy

screenshot_132.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.86 KB
 Viewed:  704 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

screenshot_132.png

DES

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Interesting wrt your Live solution. I have heard that Live always merges all the data coming into a track which would take away the individual MPE data from each channel. I suppose it would be easy enough to test....Load the layout and then play/hold two notes and then pitc one up the other down. If it goes smooth its working. if it jumps the data is merging.

You've tested it like your setup? That would be so cool if it worked! Would save me some grief in my setup.... I wonder then if it would work that way with Omnisphere or M1? I guess the difference being Omni and M1 are setup with discreet channels while Bazille is not. Btw...if you have the Korg M1 plugin, load the Guitar 1 patch in each slot and set each slots channel sequentially...then play some Linnstrument riffs. Sounds pretty cool! Different then the Omni Steel patch, but still cool.

Interesting bit with Reaper. I had started playing around with the same idea...just thought it would 'neater' to just have everything on one track.

Oh, I also checked out Cableguys Midishaper...nice! I was sending a nice lfo signal out of my PAiA 9700 to the Arp...had it controlling the filter. worked real smooth.

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes it definitely works, works with Omnisphere and M1 as well as long as you use multis. Basically it will work with any multi channel plugin, old style (omnisphere, Kontakt, m1 etc) or new style (braille, diva, Aalto etc). I have has conversations with Roger about this, I hoped he would update their site with details of how to do it in Live.

Having been a midi guitar user I have had to deal with this sort of crap from long before the current range of multi channel controllers arrived!
DES

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow! I just tried the Ableton Maneuver and it works great! The thing I guess that is being missed by most is the second MIDI To slot assignment. Most people are leaving it set to Track In where the trick is to set it to the plugins input. Very Happy I know I never gave it a second look when trying to get it to work before. THANKS!

BTW I found a free midi channel filter that works great. I set up two tracks in Reaper with Bazille on each and put the plugin in the Input FX slot. Set the channels and soon had the Linnstrument split sending notes to each track. Very cool. The plugin is called MIDI POLYSHER by eaReckon. Here is the link:

http://www.eareckon.com/en/products/freebies.html

When you get there scroll down the page and you'll see it.

Well, guess I need to work on some music....

BobTheDog

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks very useful, thanks for the link.
DES

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well unfortunately I didn't make it to EM2015 this year due to my knee being out of whack...but I did use the plugins and Linnstrument for the EM Autumnal Equinox event. The plugins worked great! I used them in Reaper to allow Linnstrument to control two instances of Bazille. One was the thermin like patch called HS Sweetest Thing and the other was controlling a pad sound...I don't recall the name offhand. I adjusted the pitch bend range to +/- 12 and had fun. The Cable Guys MidiShaper LFO plugin was used for filter modulation on my Arp 2600 drone I used at various times. I did this by assigning the LFO output to After touch and then patched that from my PAiA 9700k interface to one of the CV inputs going to the filter on the Arp. Worked great though if you are also using a controller to play the patch any after touch you apply will interact with the plugin...sometimes ok other times no so much...
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Jump to: