electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
general thoughts
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tantroniq

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: general thoughts Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree we should focus on what we really want to keep and then consider what we wish to add.

The venue sets the tone for a retreat. That is what EM has ended up being, which is great.

If we continue on the premise of what is working which is

- supportive enthusiastic participants
- a large knowledge base
- a place to tinker (like with the modular set up in the jam room)
- a place to have great conversations with a likeminded group
- a place to perform as well as experiment with performance ideas

we might try to "add" things that actually build on what is working.

Drew had a _fantastic_ idea (I think) which merges Andrews idea of bringing in some fresh blood: a mentorship/artist in residence component.

So lets say we take someone like ahem Jack Tamul or ahem Mario enrique Paoli (no pressure guys) and have some students come in to join the group for the purpose of taking in what they have to offer while we get to watch and listen. They in turn get to do this in a supportive retreat setting.

While its great to have visiting artists who come in for a day or two, they arent part of this kind of co-op thing we have forming. This would basically weave another thread into the fabric of what we have going on and (I think) make it stronger.

Running with this idea now: The artist in residence could do one seminar for all of us, one performance slot, and hold one open workshop for his/her students. Students could present their work and get feedback from all of us. Written anonymous feedback forms are one great way to do this. We all know its hard to take in feedback right after a performance. This way they get to take it home and ponder.

What this would accomplish is it would

1) keep what we have that is great
2) add a new kind of participant to the mix
3) embed the artistry of the artist in residence into EM and positions EM Greenkill as a special offshoot for the purpose of brewing and sharing ideas with people devoted to that cause.

Everybody wins if we can pull this off.

Thoughts?

laura woodswalker

Audio files: 18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Nuts & bolts thoughts about E-M 2017 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When talking about E-M 2017, if there is one: Maybe instead of getting distracted with all the pie-in-the-sky dreams of what we'd like, keep the discussion focused on the nuts & bolts.
For instance, how are we going to replace the equipment which Greg & Hong won't be bringing? Does the E-M "organization" (if there is one) have a bank account for expenses? Frinstance, my personal area of interest: where is the equipment going to come from to project Visuals in the small stage?

Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Nuts & bolts thoughts about E-M 2017 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
When talking about E-M 2017, if there is one: Maybe instead of getting distracted with all the pie-in-the-sky dreams of what we'd like, keep the discussion focused on the nuts & bolts.
For instance, how are we going to replace the equipment which Greg & Hong won't be bringing? Does the E-M "organization" (if there is one) have a bank account for expenses? Frinstance, my personal area of interest: where is the equipment going to come from to project Visuals in the small stage?

Discussion on this equipment topic in this thread. Dr. Steve suggests consolidating all discussion there, so as not to lose contributions. I agree that it is a good idea. We don't want to lose any useful info. thanks

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals
Jump to: