electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Generating CV from PD/MAX/Processing
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Schläfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Generating CV from PD/MAX/Processing Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,

I'm quite new to this DIY electronic world, and a lot of questions/ideas are popping in my mind Smile

I'm sure this has been discussed already a lot before, but im still not able to find clear answers/directions.

My idea was to be able to send CV to hardware from Processing, Pure Data, or MAX, to experiment with new way to interact with a synth, with experimental GUI, or with fractal based / cellular automata sequencers, this kind of stuff)

I know what im doing for the software part, but i have now clue about the hardware other half.

At first i was thinking a nice solution could be PD or Processing running from a Raspberry PI, connected to arduino to send the CV values, the PI solution seems nice as it could fit in a small module/enclosure, but I'm unable to find a proper solution or direction for this on the web..

Then, there is the solution of MIDI to CV interfaces (which is somehow similar ?)

Anybody of you using this kind of setup, or have an idea about where to get informations to start experimenting ?
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some general ides ...

CV from an audio card means it will have to be DC coupled (being able to send out a steady signal <> 0), some are like that, most are not. MIDI to CV is made for the purpose so it will output DC alright.

Drawback of MIDI is that it is slower (three bytes / MIDI message at 31250 bps, each byte counting for 10 bits), PC Audio outs will be much faster, but then with MIDI you can easily have more channels (be it at a further reduced speed, as the channels share the same MIDI cable).

Cant really say anything about the Pi thingie .. except that I think I saw it being used for PD somewhere.

dougseidel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use "CV toolkit" for that (http://spektroaudio.com/cv-toolkit-standalone/) together with a Motu intferface which supports DC output, so the output from the interface can go right into some device.
It all seems to work well....

Doug

Schläfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the fast reply !

The idea to use PI/Arduino would be to be able to make a workable soution without the use of a full computer and an expensive soundcard.

So for now the MIDI to CV seems more close to what i had in mind i suppose.
Ray_Ketamu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Infact there are tons of moduls based on raspberry pi for eurorack which do many great things with cv. they are opensource some are developed even with pure data in mind.

- terminal tedium
- temps utile
- ornamenta and crime

just to name some examples. as open source projects it´s easy to get the scematics from github and bend them for your needs

terminal tedium is for pure data and the pi. so cv generation and receive is allready implemented. i think modularaddict.com sells the pcb´s too...

I had the same idea... well sort of. i want to build up a sbc for eurorack. but a bit more advanced than the fore mentioned modules. based around a x86 sbc an probably the max113000 Pixi for 20 free config cv i/o at 12 bit... perhaps some ad/dac later for audio too.

the eurorack world has gone a long way from analog purism to digital and hybrid. orthogonal deices for example has the er-301 which can do astounding things and so many others are coming up. sadly in the diy corner it´s a bit quiet...

P.S.: sorry my bad spelling but i`m deutsch too Very Happy

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There was also a project "Octomod" you can search for on the forum here. USB to 8 outputs, does interface with PD etc.

It is *not* the most robust though, I found if I had multiple CVs going at the same time it tended to sag. With a slightly better DC-DC converter (TC7660H) I got it to be acceptable enough to suit the minor uses I was putting it to. It is also doesn't have great docs. But we put enough notes in the forum that I think it should be doable, and it's the only thing I know of that does *directly* interface to Pd.

Have you looked into Expert Sleepers, particularly Disting? I'm not certain it interfaces to Pd or not, but it's worth checking.
Schläfer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice, its getting really close to what i was looking for,
I will dig all of this, thanks !

What I want ideally is not to "interface" with PD, but to run directly PD from the raspberry, and so still being independent from the computer as soon as the patch is transferred.

Looks like this Terminal Tedium for exemple is very close to this.
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Right, the Octomod is an outbound interface, I had intended to hook it to a pi as well.

There is a pi distro (or maybe more) that has Pd-Extended already built into it

https://puredata.info/docs/raspberry-pi
kaputtpanzer

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You should check out firmata for the the arduino. You can easy generate voltages in pure data using pduino. I already made patches with 6 CV Outputs, using pduino and an arduino micro. You can also use firmata with processing, it is just a utility for serial communication.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Jump to: