electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
WSG filter vero layout
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bikini-inspector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject:  WSG filter vero layout
Subject description: it's verified!
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey folks!

i made a layout for the WSG filter as a standalone unit for use with my apc and the portasound keyboard.

i got it to work on the breadboard with the same components and found it nice enough to build it into a box.
Unfortunately the layout doesn't work, so after staring at it for hours trying to debug this bugger, i have to call out for help. Crying or Very sad

could someone please take the time and look over my layout?

rewards will be eternal gratitude Smile and of course the corrected layout posted for free use by anyone

here's the schem http://www.electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/thumbs/t_wsg_filter_schem_2_167.jpg

later, ben

--------------------------------
EDIT:

nevermind, i got it working

i forgot C1, not sure what happened there.... Rolling Eyes

also, all the pots are now NOT reversed Cool.
Its possible and nice to have a 1M log pot in reverse for freq, though. In case you'd prefer only one freq knob. More fine-tunable that way...

anyways, have fun!

WSGfilter_vero.png
 Description:
now verified, pots are viewed from top
 Filesize:  89.91 KB
 Viewed:  3878 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

WSGfilter_vero.png

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good to hear it's working. The IC is a LM741 though. My WSG filter is still on breadboad. Had a few issues with hum but I seem to have got around it somewhat with additional components... but I can't remember what offhand Embarassed !

I might try this layout of yours and see if I have better luck!

Thanks
hoyager

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is this how this filter is supposed to sound?

I'm just using the 1MB pot for freq and it seems to bunch up the control to the open end of the pot, but also doesn't go low enough to cut the audio...

I've used 560pf instead of 470's and C8 is only 100uf rather than 220uf and am running a dub step arcade siren through it.

Andy
jordroid

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that is indeed how that filter sounds, your samples sound quite nice actually. I don't have my WSG anymore, but i think i remember the filter not completely cutting off the signal when turned down, maybe someone who has one could verify that? If the resolution seems all bunched up at one end you could try a log pot ( or would it be reverse log? i'm not sure. ) for the filter, it may help. Your capacitor substitutions i think will shift the range of the filter as well, if you have a stash of caps you could try series/paralleling them to try to get closer to the correct values.

It is just a super simple filter for a noise maker, but a nice sounding one, in a grungy kind of way.

regards,

jordan
hoyager

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the reply, I've tried 390pf's and 250uf for C8 with little change. Its funny that no thread about this filter, of which there are a lot, mentions the lack of a good sweep, from open to closed on the freq pot.

For anyone else who's interested the pot shafts are facing up in the layout. Freq knob should be filtering out highs when turned down, to the left.

Also by omitting the freq fine (100k pot) a much smaller value on the coarse should suffice, from about 500k down to 0k has little effect on mine.

Right on to this rene schmitz ms20 with the bipolar power
bikini-inspector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey guys,

sorry i didn't look in here for so long!

minus, the 071 works fine in this filter. In my experience, most opamps are interchangeable, as long as you pay attention to the pinout and stuff like single/dual/quad...
also, this thing is dead quiet since i took it off the breadboard, no hum, but also no more oscillation...might add a feedback control for that..

hoyager, that's pretty much how my filter sounds. I think there might be a little more resonance in mine, though. Maybe because of the difference in cap values?
about the range: yeah, i guess that's why the original design has fine and coarse controls....doesn't matter to me that much, as i am mostly having it LDR controlled for now.

what i would suggest is using a log 1M pot for freq control wired in reverse, so that the filter is open when fully CCW. Or, if you have one, use a 1M revlog pot for the same effect. That way, the interesting parts of the freq are in the "shallow" areas of the pot taper, allowing better fine tuning.

It's true that it doesn't cut audio, im thinking of it more like a wah pedal with tunable reso. Smile

soundsamples will come, as soon i got my recording setup ready.

anyone know of a better way to make this thing voltage controlled than using a LDR/LED combo? This thing needs to wobble! Twisted Evil

anyway, i'm glad this has been of some use to some.feel free to keep me posted about future tinkering!

regards,
ben

EDIT
-----------------------------

ok, the sample's here, a bit long, but i got carried away, you know how it is....

test samples of stuff i built by shiz cake

also, i tried using a 500k pot, but then i fried it in another experiment, so now im back to 1M. Esp with the LDR, it allows for more bottom end, but not much.
artifus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

been working on this myself so i thought i'd post my efforts here for others to make use of. still getting my head around diylc so they're a bit messy but you should be able to figure them out.

741 version is built and verified with the addition of led power indicator with current limiting resistor and a 3.5mm mono jack which interrupts the freq pot connection to the board to allow for a light dependant resistor to be connected which are not shown. also, i didn't have a 750k to hand for the input resistor so used 100k (all i had) on board with a 1m pot which lets you tweak response depending on the output level of the circuit driving it and an output level pot.

1458 version is not completely verified as yet but have one side running on breadboard. be sure to check it over before commencing a build referencing the scheme linked to above.

1458 dual odd filter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  244.33 KB
 Viewed:  1123 Time(s)

1458 dual odd filter.jpg

741 odd filter.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.14 KB
 Viewed:  1738 Time(s)

741 odd filter.jpg

robman84

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: C5 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apologies for digging up this old topic, but in artifus' layout above, what does C5 do, joining +9v and - together? I'm a newbie, but managed to make a working Atari Punk Console and now want to add in an active filter (I've made a simple passive one). So before I destroy some components can I please ask:

* Will this circuit run straight off a 9V battery? I get confused by all the talk of bipolar power supplies.

* Could I power it from the same 9V battery that is powering my APC?

Many thanks

Rob
artifus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

c5 acts as a little reservoir of power for the rest of the circuit to draw upon.
yes it will run from a nine volt battery and yes the same one as your apc.

http://fluxmonkey.com/electronoize/opampFilter.htm

robman84

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great, thanks. Parts ordered!
Snaper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

artifus wrote:
been working on this myself so i thought i'd post my efforts here for others to make use of. still getting my head around diylc so they're a bit messy but you should be able to figure them out.

741 version is built and verified with the addition of led power indicator with current limiting resistor and a 3.5mm mono jack which interrupts the freq pot connection to the board to allow for a light dependant resistor to be connected which are not shown. also, i didn't have a 750k to hand for the input resistor so used 100k (all i had) on board with a 1m pot which lets you tweak response depending on the output level of the circuit driving it and an output level pot.

1458 version is not completely verified as yet but have one side running on breadboard. be sure to check it over before commencing a build referencing the scheme linked to above.

Sorry about ressurecting this old thread, but could the 741 version work from a +12/GND Eurorack power source?
I've got everything for this Very Happy
ZeroMax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: 741 Odd Variation
Subject description: 741 resonant filter layout on
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I assembled a slight variation on artifus' 741 "Odd" filter using components that are popular on eBay now (specifically,
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. style pots and Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. sized strip board.)
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Built and verified. (You can tell I have a favored supplier.) 1M "Alpha" pots may have to be ordered by the slow-boat, but for a single-supply resonant filter this is about as good as it gets. Black "cuts" are drill-outs for the stabilizers. (Use as small of a bit as possible if you need to do this.)

I don't suppose anyone's ever done a roll-off graph for this circuit...?
csj2k

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've just made this, using Bikini-inspector's layout at the top of the page and it works well. I added it on to a simple 555 piano circuit to make some much more interesting sounds.
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: