electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
am i the only one who really hates breadboarding?
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic

do you enjoy breadboarding?
yes
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
no
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

NOISEBOB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: am i the only one who really hates breadboarding? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I HATE BREADBOARDING

Evil or Very Mad
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh, not doing HW anymore .. but I never liked breadboards much .. would solder on perfboard instead using wirewrap wire to connect stuff up (soldered, not wrapped).

Also: welcome

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I spent many years working with breadboard circuits.

Many years ago I bought 3 interlocking breadboard bricks, a metal chassis, transformer, etc. for PSU. Mine still works (35 years later).

What I did not do was to look for the lowest price possible. I did pay what I thought was "too much" at the time, but in those days, we didn't have China making stuff like that and we really had a rather small selection of American made bricks.

I had very little mechanical problems and of them, they were dirty or corroded pins. Cleaning fixed that whenever it happened. I never had "loose" connections, but I did pay attention not to use wire too slender. Same goes for wire that's too heavy - that can spread the clips and prevent future good connections (which tends to be permanent).

There are, however, intrinsic problems. The structure of each row is a piece of metal - right next to two others (usually). This makes an obvious capacitor. So I would never try to use breadboard to make high frequency circuits. Breadboards can work with low megahertz signals such as PIC and Arduino.

The plastic can melt if it gets too hot, so I never built PSU like circuits on breadboard, I always soldered those small bits together. For a PSU, it's vastly important to make all connections high current with resistance as close to zero as possible. That's just not going to happen with a breadboard, so buy or build a decent PSU and connect it with wires. My PSU is under the chassis and has 1 amp regulators for +5v +15v and -15v.

What I built was either logic circuits or audio circuits and honestly the problems I had were self caused. Things like absent mindedly following the schematic, or being off a row when making connections.

Would I say breadboards are perfect? No, because they aren't. What they provided for me was a "work bench" for audio circuit design and concept proof and I was satisfied. Was I able to produce audiophile sound quality from breadboard? No, however, it was in fact good enough to have done several recordings using breadboard circuits. Noteworthy might be that my breadboards were screwed down to a grounded metal chassis which may have provided a modicum of shielding.

So my advice would be:
arrow Don't buy cheap ones
arrow Use proper wire
arrow Make sure pins and wires are dirt/corrosion/grease free
arrow Don't build the PSU on the breadboard
arrow Don't put heat generating parts on the breadboard. (heat - as in too hot to touch for more than 5 seconds)
arrow Keep your little brother away from it.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
...would solder on perfboard instead using wirewrap wire to connect stuff up (soldered, not wrapped).

Also: welcome

Same here Very Happy

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't hate it nor do I enjoy it. But it's pretty much unavoidable if you design circuits and don't want any surprises after soldering.
You can do things with simulations but it will still need a test with real hardware to be sure it works correctly.

And yes, quality of breadboards matters. I never had any expensive ones but I did get some cheap ones from ebay that are pretty
much useless. Also got some from ebay for the same price that work fine.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlanP

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can get a single transistor guitar fuzz working on breadboard. Any more parts, and nothing EVER bloody works.

That reminds me, I need to buy more perf for testing and modding idea circuits.
Grumble

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Used this in the old days Laughing

DSC_0017.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.94 MB
 Viewed:  275 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSC_0017.JPG

NOISEBOB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Grumble wrote:
Used this in the old days Laughing

that's beautiful!
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: