electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Questions about 4011 Ring Mod
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
acidblue

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Questions about 4011 Ring Mod Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Does the 4011 chip in the ring mod schem need to be of the unbuffered type?
I tried it with a buffered chip, (only one I have atm), but didn't notice much of difference in sound, although it was a bit louder.

I inputed two 4069 VCO's and only noticed a slight difference in sound, nothing like the ring I should be getting.

Also my understanding of ring mods is you need to use 2 different inputs, like 2 VCO"S or other OSC's, you can't use the
same VCO into both inputs, is this correct?

Schem I'm using:

ringmod.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.56 KB
 Viewed:  19296 Time(s)

ringmod.png

ezekiel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The schematic you show with the four 4011 gates is really XOR. I am not sure what effect the diodes on inputs would have.

For pseudo-ringmod, I like to use the 4030 or 4070 or 4077 chips (XOR and XNOR)--that only requires one gate. Then, you can combine more XOR gates together in whatever configurations you can think of.

Another approach is four diodes in a bridge-rectifier square.

Replace the 4011 with a 4093 (Schmitt-input NAND gates) for yet another variation.

If you are feeding in the 4069 triangle oscillator, it might not come out according to the textbook XOR binary/boolean function. However, in Lunetta land, anything goes--just report here any interesting surprises!
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm pretty positive the schem you posted is the circuit i put in my lunetta. you get the more classic ringmod sound when you feed hi frequency square waves in to the input, and then modulate one or both inputs. the diodes are there so no current is feeding back into the oscillators. i believe i used a buffered 4011 hence the little o. don't know if it makes any difference.
acidblue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll have to try some experimenting with this.
Maybe try some square wave VCO's, and see if there is a difference.

Like to to try some other chips as well for a ring mod, might
have a couple of 4070's laying around, I'll have to look.

Back to the lab for more diabolical Lunetta fun!
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
he schematic you show with the four 4011 gates is really XOR.

personally I never really understood why everyone keeps using the 4011 ringmod, it's just a complex way of making a XOR. You can get a 4070 for the same money and have 4 of them.

noise
RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just to 'tweak' tjookum... Smile

Here's another 4011 "RingMod" to play with. I think this is the one I used in my Lunetta

bruce

arp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.49 KB
 Viewed:  904 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

arp.jpg

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
Quote:

personally I never really understood why everyone keeps using the 4011 ringmod, it's just a complex way of making a XOR. You can get a 4070 for the same money and have 4 of them.

Simple... had a 4011, didn't have a 4070 Smile
Also I LOVE doing extra work for the same effect.

Psyingo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

inlifeindeath wrote:
tjookum wrote:
Quote:

Simple... had a 4011, didn't have a 4070 Smile
Also I LOVE doing extra work for the same effect.

i also have a ton of 4011's and no 4070. i've had a hard time finding them for cheap.
mono-poly

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if i feed this circuit with my cd40106 square vco's i barely get any gain at my output signal.

Confused
Sven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about 4011 Ring Mod Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

acidblue wrote:

Also my understanding of ring mods is you need to use 2 different inputs, like 2 VCO"S or other OSC's, you can't use the
same VCO into both inputs, is this correct?

Hi,

no this is not correct. A ringmodulator fed with the same signal on both inputs is a frequency doubler.¨Not sure if this applies to the 4011 "pseudo" ringmod.

73 Sven
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about 4011 Ring Mod Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sven wrote:
no this is not correct. A ringmodulator fed with the same signal on both inputs is a frequency doubler.¨Not sure if this applies to the 4011 "pseudo" ringmod.

As you wrote, this is a pseudo ringmod. If you look at the binary truth table for an XOR it does a binary multiplication of sorts, but it receives only two states and outputs only two states. A true audio ring modulator is an analog multiplier chip. So while the two are related by the multiply operation, the similarity ends there. Also, the theory behind frequency doubling with a ring mod comes from the trig identity surrounding sin(x)^2 and sin(2x). This means that the frequency doubling is purest when the inputs are both the same sine. Waveforms that differ from sine have less and less frequency doubled output. As such, we cannot expect the 4011 version to do all of the things that are described for an analog ringmod. The 4011 or XOR type is useful, just very different. Also, within the frame of analog multipliers there are 3 kinds - single quadrant, two quadrant and four quadrant. Only the four quadrant type is a true analog ring modulator.

It should also be noted that the term "ring" comes from the original circuit which was used in radio electronics to mix RF signals. It was composed of a transformer connected ring of diodes. The term has nothing to do with a ringing sound. This type of ring modulator has been used by some in synth electronics, the main complaint being that you need special diodes and a large input signal. The effect is also different from a four quadrant multiplier.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Sven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Questions about 4011 Ring Mod Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JovianPyx wrote:

It should also be noted that the term "ring" comes from the original circuit which was used in radio electronics to mix RF signals. It was composed of a transformer connected ring of diodes. The term has nothing to do with a ringing sound. This type of ring modulator has been used by some in synth electronics, the main complaint being that you need special diodes and a large input signal. The effect is also different from a four quadrant multiplier.

I have build some classic ringmodulators mostly for Shortwave radios and I was experimenting with "real" ringmods for audio. One input an Yamaha organ and the other a sinewave from a audio signal generator made nice bell sounds.
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Analog ringmods are often used to make bell-like sounds because of the harmonics they produce.

This is also true of FM used for bells.

However, in both of those cases, there is no ringing as there is in a real metal bell.

With a metal bell, you strike it and then it rings out from resonance. It needs only the impact energy to ring. An FM or ringmod created bell circuit won't do that, it requires the input remain and then an EG and VCA are used to cause the fade out.

The "ring" sound that you don't hear from the XOR version is because it isn't producing the harmonics that make the real ringmod sound bell-like.

It is unfortunate that the term "ring" is applied because it is quite confusing since it has two meanings in this context which is why I gave a bit of it's semantic history.

corruptio optimi pessima
Sven

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you for the explanations thanks thanks
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sven wrote:
Thank you for the explanations thanks thanks

You are very welcome Cool

corruptio optimi pessima
dk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Out of curiosity, would it be easy to create a "real" ring mod then out of the circuit toward the bottom of this page? (the one without transformers)

Taking a shot at it, we'd have to sum the 2 signals and feed to W1, sum the 2 signals with the carrier reversed in polarity and feed it to W2, and then hook up a differential amplifier to +1 and -1 to get the output?
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, as always, I'll say "try it".

Yes, it will "work". No, it will not sound like a "true" ring modulator (whatever that is).

In fact, there is no such thing as a "true" ring modulator at this point in time. The term has been mash and squished into so many different things that one can't know what it is just by hearing "ring modulator". In some circles (synth), the "true" ring modulator is a 4 quadrant multiplier like MC1496. In other circles (amateur radio) a ring modulator is one that has the diodes and transformers. Many alternate approximations have been designed to attempt to do the same things and in some respects they do.

With the diode and resistor one, you want to use diodes that have very low "on" voltage. Schottky type should work. You also want to hit it with as large of input signals as you can without blowing the diodes. Doing so limits the switching distortion caused by the diodes turning on and off and the signal multiplication effect should be more apparent.

Depending on what kinds of sounds you're looking for, maybe experimenting with different diodes will help. In that case, I'd try Schottky, silicon signal diodes (like 1N4148), germanium (1N34A), silicon power diodes, selenium rectifier diodes and LEDs.

So I'd amplify as much as I can, then put it through the modulator and then attentuate back down to normal signal levels.

corruptio optimi pessima
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

the output-waveform looks quite similar to the one from circuit #4, but it would not suffer from impediance problems:
http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-files/most_versatile_sub_circuit_473.png

(sorry for posting opamps in the lunetta forum again Shocked )
dk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the insight Jovian! As soon as I free up my breadboard, I may just give it a shot.

Gabbagabi, you mean that your sub circuit would not suffer from impedance problems, or what I had posted?
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

gabbagabi wrote:
(sorry for posting opamps in the lunetta forum again Shocked )

Burn the witch! Let us pray

interesting, I am not quite awake yet but I think I should be able to do those things with The Toggler. Too bad I can't test right now.

For the one with just the diodes I wonder if it would make sense to use those opamp based ideal diode circuits.
Oh shit, now I mentioned opamps too, I guess it is self-immolation time.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rofl, yeah burn it!
although one must be carefull with burning east-germans - u know that we come from a highly contaminated part of the past, better consult the ministry of radiation before start buying the gasoline Very Happy

dunno either if the toggler would do the job, probably yes?

the rectifier idea is not a bad one, if u analyse the fonitronic rm it is also based on two rectifiers http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-39762.html,
after messing around with the fonitronik circuit in the simulator, i came up with the attached circuit, the output wave form is not what we would expect from a "real" RM (same with the fonitronic RM) but the spectrum analysis shows the typical two peaks, one at 8khz and one at 10khz, input was 1khz and 9khz, the output is also unipolar - so one should apply a decoupling C/R or may a static offset.

@denmark i meant "my" circuit would not suffer

please let me know if iam to offtopic, but i personally love it to see different approaches to the same goal

Ring-eltaube.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.81 KB
 Viewed:  327 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Ring-eltaube.png

dk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting that gabbagabi... the right half of Fonik's circuit is sort of similar to what I had in mind, but simpler and (probably) better.

As for burning east-germans, we're all wearing masks these days, so it might be less of a problem than it usually would be Very Happy Very Happy

I feel like half my posts are OT here, but it's great to learn from you guys, even if it involves ::gasps:: opamps and transistors!
Page 1 of 1 [22 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: