electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
visual feedback
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:59 am    Post subject: visual feedback Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Wouldn't it be nice if the G2 editor would offer some more visual feedback?
So when you modulate something you can actually see it?
(check attachment for an example, left is the "animated version", right the original. ofcourse the knobs shouldn't move Smile )

It would be alot easier to understand/debug patches this way i think.

ofcourse there should be an option in the editor "turn off animation" or something like that for slower computers
or for people who don't like it

what do you think?

ANEX.PCH2
 Description:
Load in SLOT A!

Download
 Filename:  ANEX.PCH2
 Filesize:  2 KB
 Downloaded:  1344 Time(s)

cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah, i'd definitely appreciate more visual feedback, as well, with the option of disabling it.
G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I totally agree with mother misty and cebec on this!
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That would be damn cool!
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is an excellent idea! I fully support it! But its a "nice to have" vs a "must have" in my book ...
/Dasz
sheridan

Audio files: 27
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm all for that too, but wouldn't this post have been better in the wish list section, where people could vote for it? Smile

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
mother misty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:
I'm all for that too, but wouldn't this post have been better in the wish list section, where people could vote for it? Smile

I think so... But i wanted to hear if people would like this or maybe have other suggestions for a little more visual feedback in the editor.
Seems like not many people are voting on this whishlist-thing Sad That's the reason I've putted it here.

Another thing that could be nice for example is: if you hold your mouse over a cable, a little window would pop-up displaying the
values running through the cable (reaktor has this).
This little pop-up window helped me several times to understand patches better, it's really usefull, certainly for complex patches with lots of modulations.
sheridan

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mother misty wrote:
Seems like not many people are voting on this whishlist-thing Sad That's the reason I've putted it here.

Touchee! Embarassed That's a good point. Hey Mosc, is there anything you can do about this? Maybe allowing polls in this forum too, or somehow combining the two?

mother misty wrote:
Another thing that could be nice for example is: if you hold your mouse over a cable, a little window would pop-up displaying the values running through the cable.

Personally, I find this an even better idea... only visible when needed... but would Clavia 'steal/borrow' an idea from reaktor?

Hear music and Nord Modular G2 patches and find out music production tips at
http://www.nitetimeproductions.co.uk
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We can enable polls on this forum too. I'll do that.

Most of the people reading the forum aren't even members. Usually, when you look at who's reading the forum, about 1/2 are not registered. These people can't vote in polls or post messages. I think people who are registered often don't vote in polls for several reasons. Maybe they think it is pointless, I don't know.

EDIT - Hey, we can post polls on this forum!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: visual feedback Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mother misty wrote:
Hi,

Wouldn't it be nice if the G2 editor would offer some more visual feedback?
So when you modulate something you can actually see it?
(check attachment for an example, left is the "animated version", right the original. ofcourse the knobs shouldn't move Smile )

It would be alot easier to understand/debug patches this way i think.

?

What an excellent idea. Galaxy (I think that's the name of the old Mac synth editor) has a feature where you drag a line between a mod source and a mod dest, and an animated dotted or dashed line would appear moving around those locations. A real no-brainer to show modulations. I remember being very impressed with this early 90s(??) program, and being bummed that i never saw anything so usefull on ANY Windows editor.

Now, when you have many mod sources & destinations like on the Xpander/Matrix 12, the screens could get very busy , and I would imagine the system resources might get chewed up quickly.

Still- a darn good idea. Actually, I would rather see something like this thatn the patch mutator.

Now, how would this be implemented in a G2 patch, since so many of them occupy a lot of screen real estate?

If there was a mod grouping system similar to the cable show/hide buttons which would display sources/destinations by choice, this would be really usefull especially if the user could define how to assign each modulator to the mod group(by CC#, by module color, or absolute module reference).
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

remember, if you assign a cc directly to a parameter the moduation will be animated...just not if you go through a morph group.

deknow
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
remember, if you assign a cc directly to a parameter the moduation will be animated...just not if you go through a morph group.

deknow

What do you mean by animated? When the cc's change, the knob moves?
This ins't easily visible in a complicated patch, or when no midi is coming in.

From what I remember, the animation in Galaxy was always visible and does not need midi for the user to see the connections between mod sources & mod destinations.
mother misty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sheridan wrote:
Personally, I find this an even better idea... only visible when needed... but would Clavia 'steal/borrow' an idea from reaktor?

I don't know, maybe reaktor wasn't the first to implement this?
(Software companies take eachother idea's all the time or try to make them better.)
Every patch looks very static, a little bit "animation" would help us understand patches and the behaviour of various modulations alot faster i think.
Ofcourse this won't be an exact representation, but at least it would give you an idea.
For me it seems obvious if you modulate the filter freq (of the nord filter for example) that you also see the transfer function move,
just like it moves when you turn the freq knob

(oh well..... maybe i'm still suffering from my reaktor/g2 switch Smile )
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: