electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Completed
Drumatic
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Drumatic Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Drumperformance

some info about the slots and the controllers
SLOT A > algoseq
An experiment with 2 DX Routers and 2x6 LFO's acting as LO-FI operators.
This patch consists of 2 x-faded "FM Blocks" (green modules & cyan modules)
"FM Block 1" (green modules) switches from algorithm if "FM Block 2" is at +64 and FM Block 1 at -64
"FM Block 2" (cyan modules) switches from algorithm is "FM Block 1" is at -64 and FM Block 2 and -64
This is a simple x-fade, but the algorithm of the DX routers switches when the volume is 0, so you will never hear pops when the system is switching algorithms.
Crossfading of the FM Blocks is controlled by a shape LFO clocked to the masterclock (the yellow module is just for visual feedback.)
(Left=FM Block 1 active, Right=FM Block 2 active). If you don't want the crossfading, turn of the FM MOD switch.
Alot of controllers are assigned to this patch and 4 morph groups
ShpMod: controls all Shape parameters of FM Block 1
PhsMod: controls all Phase parameters of FM Block 1
ShpMod: controls all Shape parameters of FM Block 2
PhsMod: controls all Phase parameters of FM Block 2

SLOT B > NoiseQ
Sequenced noise. Consists of 2 identical noise circuits (blue & green modules) with various filter & shape options.
Each circuit has it's own sequencer. 2 Morph groups are assigned to this patch plus alot of controllers.

SLOT C > Jupiler Drum
3 parts (drum, snare, hihat) drumsequencer.
Tweak morph groups for effects

SLOT D > performance controller
selected variations for slot A, B, & C in this slot.
Check first 7 variations in this slot for some examples.

You can find the mix, morph & sequencer controlls for all slots in the global pages
A1: mix controls for slot A, B & C
A2: morph controls for slot A, B & C
B1: sequencer slot A
B3: sequencer1 slot B
C2: sequencer2 slot B
D1: sequencer1 slot C
E1: sequencer2 slot C

Enjoy!

DRUMATIC.PRF2
 Description:
G2 Drum performance

Download
 Filename:  DRUMATIC.PRF2
 Filesize:  26.82 KB
 Downloaded:  1443 Time(s)

DRUMATIC_VARIATIONS.MP3
 Description:
MP3 examples

Download
 Filename:  DRUMATIC_VARIATIONS.MP3
 Filesize:  2.09 MB
 Downloaded:  853 Time(s)

Last edited by mother misty on Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Misty,

This is pretty smart, I can see myself spending alot of time with this one!

As a beginner to all this modular stuff I hope you dont mind if I ask a couple of questions about this:

1. How long did it take you to create?

2. Is most of it created from sections you had in other patches/performances or is most of it done from scratch.

3. How do you go about creating something like this, did you have a plan to begin with or did it just grow over time?

Cheers

Andy
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whew, this is REALLY cool! Twisted Evil
Wan

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a great performance Mother.

You're quite a beatmaster. Thanks for sharing.

Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

expanded only Sad
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:
expanded only Sad

Finally, your avatar looks likes it's suitable for a post instead of just your name Smile Smile Smile (I think I heard a sigh come out of the picture while I read your post as well).

alright, back to the topic...I'm glad I recently picked up the expansion card!
mother misty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Hi Misty,

This is pretty smart, I can see myself spending alot of time with this one!

As a beginner to all this modular stuff I hope you dont mind if I ask a couple of questions about this:

1. How long did it take you to create?

Hard to say since I didn't created this performance from scratch.
I created slot A (algoseq) & B (noiseQ) from scratch, but not slot C (jupiler drum) & D (performance controller)
I think each slot took me a couple of houres to build the structure, after that I mostly spend several days (sometimes weeks) optimizing & testing it.
I like patches with a clear layout & lots of features (knobs assignments, morph groups, variations, ....) so this "optimizing" can take some time Smile
When you look at slot A & B you'll see that these patches consists of identical "blocks" (slot a > green & cyan modules, slot b > green & blue modules).
You can build patches very fast like this and of the nice things about this is that you can copy parameters of these blocks to other blocks
(select all modules from a block > copy, select the modules from another block > paste parameters)

BobTheDog wrote:
Is most of it created from sections you had in other patches/performances or is most of it done from scratch.

a bit of both actually,
Slot A (algoseq) was created from scratch for this performance. I had the idea in my mind, didn't take really long to patch the structure.
Slot B (noiseQ) patched from scratch, also had the idea in my mind.
Slot C (jupiler drum) already had this, used this in 'poepezwiere.prf2"
Slot D (performance controller) used this many times

BobTheDog wrote:
How do you go about creating something like this, did you have a plan to begin with or did it just grow over time?

I've many plans, but not enough time to realize them Sad For this kind of performances "tempo based" & "realtime control" are the keywords.
These kind of performances are made for the keyboard version, ofcourse they will work on the engine aswell but you'll lose alot of realtime control.
I like to hit run & jam/tweak, so whatever I'm patching i'm trying to make it "tempo-based" (which doesn't mean seq-based), it just has to run in sync when I hit run.
I also try to look at my patches as 'instruments' with their own layout / morphs / knobs /... and think of what 'instruments'
I would need for the stuff I want to make. So I've created alot of drumcomputers, seq-based synths, tempo-based drones & noodles,
seq based percussion synths, audio-in effects, ... all of them synced to the masterclock.
All these patches togheter form some kind of a "construction kit" which you can layer/combine/connect in the 4 slots in an easy way.
I really like this "contruction kit" approach, i don't know any other synth which can do this, it's extremly flexible and very fast if you
want to work out idea's or jam, sort of like a modular groovebox Smile

For this performance I've worked with a performance controller (slot D) just to show some of the posibilities of this performance,
and let you combine variations in an easy way and save those as a master variation.
I also like to work without the editor once the patch/performance is finished that's why you'll find alot of parameters asssigned in
the various slots & global pages (more than 400) great for jamming!

misty.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Misty,

Thanks for the very comprehensive reply, sorry I hadn't seen this reply before but I didn't get an reminder email for it.

All I can say is keep up the good work and I am learning a huge amount by playing with your patches (and trying to work out how they work!).

Cheers

Andy
mother misty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the kind words Andy and all the others!
Always nice to hear that people appreciate my "experiments" Smile

(btw: I've added some mp3 examples for the unexpanded ones)

misty.
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Completed
Jump to: