electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Artists » Amy X Neuburg
News from Amy
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: News from Amy Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got this in my email...

Hey Yorkies! (and those nearby)

Hello! It's been a long time. How is everyone?

No I do not have an upcoming show in New York, alas.

I do, however, have an upcoming show INSPIRED BY New York. I thought perhaps you might like to know about it. It's a song cycle for voice and cellists called "The Secret Language of Subways" and it premieres next weekend in San Francisco. Eventually we will bring it to You. (Your venue suggestions are always welcome.)

Details below, and read on for news about this past year in the (very small) world of electronic avant-cabaret.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

"The Secret Language of Subways"
A new song cycle by vocalist/composer AMY X NEUBURG

for voice, cello trio, electronic drums, and live electronic looping/processing
Featuring the Cello ChiXtet: ELAINE KRESTON, JESS IVRY, and BETH VANDERVENNET

Friday through Sunday, December 15-17, 2006 -- 8:00 PM
Dance Mission Theater
3316 24th Street (at Mission), San Francisco
Across the street from 24th St. BART

Tickets $15 with advance reservation / $18 at the door
To reserve, call (415) 273-4633
More info at http://www.amyxneuburg.com

Presented in cooperation with Other Minds, under fiscal sponsorship of the San Francisco Friends of Chamber Music.

Techno-diva Amy X Neuburg, known for her wildly entertaining 'avant-cabaret' performances, presents a new song cycle for voice, cello trio, electronic drums, and live electronic looping and processing. Conceived largely while riding on New York subways, these 12 contrasting songs use urban images and metaphors of war to explore love and loss, aspects of deceit, and the artist's struggle between personal expression and world concern. Using drum pads, faders and pedals, Neuburg processes both her voice and the cellos with effects and real-time looping to build up layered harmonies and counterpoints live on stage. The cycle will be presented in dramatized concert form, and features three diverse and talented Bay Area cellists -- Elaine Kreston, Jess Ivry, and Beth Vandervennet.

With lighting design by the fabulous Elaine Buckholtz!

Send your hippie frisco friends. Maybe there are some I don't already know.

What else? As we've not been in touch for a while, I thought I might take this opportunity to tell you a bit about what I've been up to this past year, in case you are interested. It's been a busy and productive year for me, and I hope for you as well. Here are some highlights:

January:
Milwaukee -- Premiere of my composition "The Metaphor" -- a 12-minute song sort of about post-modernism sort of, commissioned by the Present Music new music chamber ensemble. Performed with the vocals and entire ensemble electronically looped and processed.

March:
Berkeley -- Premiere of my song cycle "Beliebig Füllen" for seven looped vocalists, commissioned by the San Francisco Jewish Music festival. A cycle of 8 songs based on recipes collected by the women of the Terezin concentration camp, combined with my own texts about fantasy as a means of survival. In English, German and Czech, sung by a fabulous group of women trained in both classical and Eastern European singing.

April and May:
New Zealand -- 2 months as resident composer at the Christchurch Arts Centre, culminating in a performance of "The Traveler" -- a site-specific choral/theatre piece developed in workshops with 15 diverse and wonderfully talented singers.

June:
My first solo "tour" of Europe, with performances at the Berlin International Poetry Festival and in the Netherlands and featuring that all-important week of excessive debauchery in Amsterdam that I never had when I was 20.

September:
Oakland -- An amusing attempt to make a professional video of my solo show at the beautiful Oakland Metro with some sort of loud police action going on outside the whole time.

So that's the news. Would love to hear from anyone and everyone, and I hope to be back in NYC soon with new music and some hot cello babes. Happy Holidays to all.

Love and xx -- a

You are on my NYC email list. If you would like to be removed from this list, please let me know. No hard feelings; no questions asked.

[Image credits: Group photo by Emily Bezar; design & background by Kirsten Sims.]

--

++++++++++++++++++++++++
Amy X Neuburg
http://www.amyxneuburg.com
++++++++++++++++++++++++

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey! i went to college with one of those cellists!

deknow
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Artists » Amy X Neuburg
Jump to: