electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
How 2 create a minimoog with the G2 (Westcoast Style)
Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bj2001

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: How 2 create a minimoog with the G2 (Westcoast Style) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not a crack Sad at makin' new patch,I need to make warm pad,lead,synth & bass sounds like the westcoast beatsmith (Dr Dre,Fredwerck,Dj Muggs)
You know those warm,chronic sounds,long evolvin' sequences,powerfuls pipe organs Shocked
Thanx to give me advices,links,patch connections & modules to do that vintage synthetizer.
Peace
Love & Unity.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome, BJ2001.

I'm moving this post to General Discussion. This forum is just for patches.

Check the patch archive that is just getting start on this site here:

http://electro-music.com/g2patches.php

Also, Rob keeps a personal archive of stuff from the NM mailing list. See here:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhordijk/

You mention MiniMoog and also
Quote:
warm,chronic sounds,long evolvin' sequences,powerfuls pipe organs

The MiniMoog is a mono synth and it has no sequencer. It can't really do any of those sounds. Well, warm it can do, but it was usually used for lead lines.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
paul e.

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

for those slinky synth lead lines typical of west coast rap, a simple sine wave played with a lot of portamento will work very well...

also..these guys use samples a lot..not as many synths..but the moog sound will work for the basses..also FM type sounds for basses

bj2001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thx for ya help.
Well i know for the minimoog & the lead but it can give good bass synth sounds.
For the pipe organs, I really do emulate those sounds with the G2 cos it's sound good on a hip hop beats.

Plus In westcoast music scene,they used a lot of instruments & few sample ,owadays,not like the eastcoast which production is based mainly on sample.
I know Fredwerck tools...Muggs... & others synth addicts,i think I could do it with a lot of work on the G2 cos I can't spent thousand of $$$$ on gears.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Do you have a G2? There are many basses and organs in the factory presets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bj2001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yeah I got the G2 & all the existing patches.
And I din't really dig 'em for bass,synth & lead.
They are not fat & warm enuff.
I struggle a bit with LFO & switcher.
never have a real analog/vintage synth in my hands so synthesis
is a bit hard,but I learn it with the workshop done by Hordjik.
I'm french so I eat a lot of english.
I wanna built on G2 classic analog circuit/patch to create
bass,lead,pads,well classic stuff.
Thx if U can give me some scheme about the module use on a minimoog,
a pipe organ (U jbiw how to make a leslie speaker...)
Well I got a lot to learn to built my own patch.
Peace

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bj2001 wrote:

I'm french so I eat a lot of english.

Ha Ha. Well, you know enough English to know how to make a good joke. Laughing

bj2001 wrote:

I wanna built on G2 classic analog circuit/patch to create
bass,lead,pads,well classic stuff.
Thx if U can give me some scheme about the module use on a minimoog,
a pipe organ (U jbiw how to make a leslie speaker...)
Well I got a lot to learn to built my own patch.
Peace

Yes, I went through the basses on the G2 factory patches and I agree, there is certainly room for improvment. I'm sure people will come up with some good ones.

The organs are better. I like ChOrgan, TinyOrgan, and YetAnotherOrgan. Some of these do Leslie speaker simulation.

Maybe someone will make a MiniMoog patch. I don't have a MiniMoog and off the top of my head I don't remember the exact architecture, but it is pretty simple.
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A good source for general synthesis info can be found at http://www.soundonsound.com/

I cannot remember the name of the column though. register.. then check out the online back issues.

I am not using the G2, so I cannot help you out... sorry..

The minimoog sound is of course a classic, but it is not that good really. If you want to build analogish stuff from scratch you can just as well build a hybrid of a semimodular but with a monimoog style VCO section.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Emulating the behaviour of classic analog circuitry (like a mini) means implementing multiple nonlinearities, headroom saturations, voltage drift & jitter and so on...

...I'm intending to build a comprehensive "analog emulation" patch with such features soon...

...but right now I'm just having too much fun with my very first physical modeling patch -a flute. I even got the tuning right! (I know that Clavia already has wind instrument models in beta version. But I couldn't wait so I built it myself)
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Minimoog Architecture: from memory, the last minimoog that passed through my ‘workshop’ for a mod, was about a year ago.

The panel is divided into sections, from left to right.
Controllers: 1 knob each for master tune, glide time (linear), mix of vco3/noise for mod wheel source.

Oscillator Bank:
3 range switches, a tune knob for vco 2 and 3, 3 wave selector switches.
Waves are triangle, triangle+saw mix, sawtooth, pulse 50%, 66%,90%
vco3 has reverse saw subbed for the tri+saw mix as it is more useful in lfo and a switch to disconnect from keyboard cv for lfo.

Mixer:
Volume and on/off switch for vco 1,2,3, noise and external

Modifiers:
VCF (lowpass, 24dB) cutoff, resonance, env mod amount.
Keyboard cv track is handled by two switches (off,25%,75%,100%)
VCF env (contour), Attack, Decay, Sustain level
VCA env as above
There is no release knob but a switch selects between fast(a few ms) or same time as decay.

Output:
Volume + Headphone volume A440 switch (for tuning).

Unless you want to sound like Rick Wakeman (and I’m guessing not, same as your not referring to ‘the beach boys’ as west coast style) it’s only really good for bass. It’s been a staple of funk and R&B for a looong time.

My minimoogish G2 patch, in the classic section, is (to my ears) pretty close for doing bass and you can tweak it to your taste. It is not a duplicate of the architecture, just enough to get the bass sounds.

You can also try a virtual one
http://www.arturia.com/en/mvscreenshots.html

Hope this helps, mo fo
bj2001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok folks,thx for your advices,I check Sound on sound site
http://www.soundonsound.com/search?url=%2Fsearch&Section=8&Subject=12
& it's a gold mine of infos.

I'm diggin' in the G2 manual & get stuck with the level,logic,switch & note modules.
I can't pass through that,a shame Clavia don't post tips & tricks & examples for each of those modules.
I can't figure out,I try to emulate some of the G1 patches & others classic synth,it's a bit hard to understand what I'm supposed to do & why i got to use this & that to emulate this or that.

Well my question is how to know when u need a certain module in a patch to get a sound.
I use the G2 to create a sound I've in mind but when I have to do this physically on the G2,I'm stuck cos I don't know how to create the feelin' of the sound : playability & sonically I'm far away of a bass or a warm lead or a electric piano.
I think i got to go really in depth with the links you have given me.
thx for your support
I still wonder how U'll get start in sonic synthesis cos it seems an endless & powerfull technic...

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

maybe check out the following links :

http://www.xs4all.nl/~rhordijk/ for G2 related tutorials

http://www.clavia.se/nordmodular/Modularzone/index.html these are NM Classic based but some applies to the G2 as well.

Nonetheles creating a patch that makes a sound as you have it in your mind is not easy. For me it works better to to let the instrument guide me and see where it brings me and then decide if and how I use the sounds thus created.

Once I was heavily into painting until I got the idea that I first had to get the picture in my head and then make the painting, after that I didn't paint no paintings anymore and so decided to not let me catch me again by such a stupid idea ...

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
For me it works better to to let the instrument guide me and see where it brings me and then decide if and how I use the sounds thus created.

That is well put. This gives you access to the creativity within.
bj2001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well to understand what I mean by creatin' my own sound & classic synth
just peep those audio snippets (streamin')
listen carefully to the bass, pad (ambient),pipe organ...

Cypress Hill - til death do us part
http://mfile.akamai.com/3152/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/209/513209_1_15.ram?obj=v40406

Kurupt - On site
http://mfile.akamai.com/3152/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/811/424811_1_07.ram?obj=v40224

Kurupt - hardest ========
http://mfile.akamai.com/3152/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/811/424811_1_09.ram?obj=v40224

Above the law - Summer Days
http://mfile.akamai.com/3152/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/122/269122_1_10.ram?obj=v30603

Above the Law - Soul Searching
http://mfile.akamai.com/3152/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/122/269122_1_14.ram?obj=v30603

Dj Quik - Sex Crymee
http://mfile.akamai.com/3152/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/015/453015_1_13.ram?obj=v20714

Dj Quik - Thinkin' bout You
http://mfile.akamai.com/3152/rm/muze.download.akamai.com/2890/us/usrm/033/295033_1_11.ram?obj=v40121
^^
the last one is a real gem^
Thx for commentin' those trax.
peace

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The ‘factory patches’ that came on the software CD are not all loaded into the unit (at least not on my machine which came with V1.0). There is a Minibob1 & 2 which is a pretty accurate architectural model of the minimoog.
The only obvious error is the glide type which should be linear, not exponential. The mini’s glide has another quirk, in that the time varies a little depending on pitch but this is subtle and not particularly important.
The patch is a good example of how duplicating the architecture of a synth, does not guarantee the same sonic character.
There is also a great string patch ‘motzartstrings’ which is simple but uses a reverb module in the poly area to, very effectively, simulate body resonance. It is 50.1% but can be made less than 50% (for more voices) by swapping the Nord filter with a Classic filter.
bj2001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sad
I checked my Cd with the os,patches,driver.
1 I can't find the patch U are talkin' about.
No minibob.
or mozartstring.
Can u post 'em.
thx

wildbill

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bj2001:

at this site:

http://www.nordsynth.zevv.nl/

click on G2, and click your way thru - you'll get to the factory patches which came with the first OS. (1.0)
the 'minibob' and 'minibob2' patches you're looking for are among them.

i haven't downloaded or loaded them into my g2 yet, but plan on doing so soon.
i also don't know if they are all different from the patches/performances that came with my g2 i got 2 weeks ago (OS1.1).
bj2001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thx a lot... Cool
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Jan. If you sit down at the G2 with the goal of making a particular sound, you are probably going to be frustrated (unless you are a very experienced programmer). On the other hand, if you approach it with an attitude of experimenting to see what sounds come out when you try different things, you will enjoy it more, learn a lot, and come up with some sounds that are uniquely your own. After a while, you'll have a better idea of what to do to achieve specific things.
bj2001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i got another question,
how do U play a pad or a lead patch with the keys & wheel & pitchstick to make an evolving sequence so u can record it.
Makin' a melody (solo instrument) with a progressive ambient pad or a solo lead to make it a chorus in your song.
I struggle with the control modules to recreate the playbility.
Thx,i got a lot to improve. Smile

bj2001

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool
well with a lil' work I'm approachin' the sound I need for my beats with the bass sounds.
But I lack the warmth & progressin' chords with the lead & choir pads : well used in westcoast rap music (whistles,searin' leads...).
see Cypress Hills,Dr Dre,Dj QUik.
Like I said before the manuel miss to explain each module purpose 'like they did for the sequencer's operation'
I be glad if some tight patch designers can built good Dr Dre-ish lead (portamento) with the G2.
peace

Page 1 of 1 [21 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: