electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Modular G2 Engine
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sinswolf

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Modular G2 Engine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Due to my budget and the fact, that I own several Synths with a keyboard, I bought the Nord Modular G2 Engine. This rackmodul has wether a display or something else to control this unit without a PC.
The Cavia user manual bases on the keyboard version what confuse the owner of the engine users( while there are no knobs and displays).
I had some trouble with the midi implementation (program change/bank change) and the switch between patch and performance mode and the use of variations over midi.
I would would wish a special part in the manual for the Modular G2 engine.
Sorry for my english, I'm from Germany
MarcTale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello,
I have the same problems. It´s hard to find everytging out on the Engine.
Please do a different Manual.

Regards

MarcTale
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wouldn't you just disregard the section on 'working with the synth' and just use the Editor, module , and midi info in the manual? it says that midi CC #70 controls variations, and i would think that the usual bank/patch change messages would work the same as any other synth, no? most everything else you can customize to your needs from the Editor.

though i do think it was a horrible descision to not put at least a small LED display and a knob or four on the front.

cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Modular G2 Engine Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sinswolf wrote:
Due to my budget and the fact, that I own several Synths with a keyboard, I bought the Nord Modular G2 Engine. This rackmodul has wether a display or something else to control this unit without a PC.
The Cavia user manual bases on the keyboard version what confuse the owner of the engine users( while there are no knobs and displays).
I had some trouble with the midi implementation (program change/bank change) and the switch between patch and performance mode and the use of variations over midi.
I would would wish a special part in the manual for the Modular G2 engine.
Sorry for my english, I'm from Germany

Your English is fine- nothing wrong with it.
I too have an Engine only. The editor should be enough for visual feedback.
I use the Behringer BCR2000 to control the Engine. It is a lot cheaper than buying a Keyboard version of the G2.
You can use the LEDs on the BCR2000 for indicators.
It's quite handy- and I'm finding I dont miss the knobs from the rack so much any more.

But a smalll LCD would hve been ideal, and not that expensive.
But my guess is that they expected people to buy the engines in addition to a Keyboard version- or to use the Engine from some non-Clavia keyboard, instead of people like us who only have the Engine.'
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfed wrote:
wouldn't you just disregard the section on 'working with the synth' and just use the Editor, module , and midi info in the manual? it says that midi CC #70 controls variations, and i would think that the usual bank/patch change messages would work the same as any other synth, no? most everything else you can customize to your needs from the Editor.

though i do think it was a horrible descision to not put at least a small LED display and a knob or four on the front.

you should download the G2 manual V 1.3x from the Clavia website.

There are changes in that version of the manual that were not in the manual that came with my Engine, particularly regarding midi modules, and features.
northstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Well spoken, some crucial things are lacking Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi to everybody, Very Happy

I agree with you beyond any doubt! A reset button would have been nearly indispensable. A single knob to be able to at least change performances/slots and load stored patches would have been very nice for onstage use.

OK, you can overcome that one by using a controller like the Behringer. Or you are controlling the engine by a masterkeyboard anyhow and are well up to changing performances and parameters by the masterkeyboards knobs, buttons and sliders.

But a small LCD display that shows at least the selected performance/patch is quite indispensable too. Exclamation How to check if the desired performance has been successfully loaded and is standing by for action? Confused Ok, good planning ahead, but to re-check??

Why not, Clavia? The Nord Lead III Rack and the Nord Electro II Rack got its full interface like the keyboard versions as well. True for the Modular Classic Rack as well. Fully equipped.

The keyboard version G2s are attractive enough to not narrowing their market by engine with good usability. Why put people off that prefer a masterkeyboard-to-engine setting? Come on, Clavia, you could do it better on the Lead and Electro and I recon' it didn't ruin the Lead and Electro keyboard version's sells at all. Rolling Eyes

See ya' all,
northstar /Vienna, Austria
Funky40

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Well spoken, some crucial things are lacking Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

northstar wrote:
...................But a small LCD display that shows at least the selected performance/patch is quite indispensable too. Exclamation How to check if the desired performance has been successfully loaded and is standing by for action? Confused Ok, good planning ahead, but to re-check??

Why not, Clavia? .......................

absolutly right. I dont understand it too.
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wasn't there a "engine manual" being done a while ago by a E-M member? Something with all the MIDI controllers that are reserved and so on?
Acidfever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Unfed wrote:
and i would think that the usual bank/patch change messages would work the same as any other synth, no?

Ehm, nope......that's part of the problem. The variation change doesn't react to default program change messages!
Acidfever

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Well spoken, some crucial things are lacking Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would instantly purchase a G2 desktop! Instantly i tell ya!

But at this point the G2 Keys is just too expensive to justify the extra's.
A desktop version at a somewhat lower pricepoint would certainly make me buy another G2.

northstar wrote:
Hi to everybody, Very Happy

I agree with you beyond any doubt! A reset button would have been nearly indispensable. A single knob to be able to at least change performances/slots and load stored patches would have been very nice for onstage use.

OK, you can overcome that one by using a controller like the Behringer. Or you are controlling the engine by a masterkeyboard anyhow and are well up to changing performances and parameters by the masterkeyboards knobs, buttons and sliders.

But a small LCD display that shows at least the selected performance/patch is quite indispensable too. Exclamation How to check if the desired performance has been successfully loaded and is standing by for action? Confused Ok, good planning ahead, but to re-check??

Why not, Clavia? The Nord Lead III Rack and the Nord Electro II Rack got its full interface like the keyboard versions as well. True for the Modular Classic Rack as well. Fully equipped.

The keyboard version G2s are attractive enough to not narrowing their market by engine with good usability. Why put people off that prefer a masterkeyboard-to-engine setting? Come on, Clavia, you could do it better on the Lead and Electro and I recon' it didn't ruin the Lead and Electro keyboard version's sells at all. Rolling Eyes

See ya' all,
northstar /Vienna, Austria
Unfed

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acidfever wrote:

Ehm, nope......that's part of the problem. The variation change doesn't react to default program change messages!

well, of course. bank/program changes would be used to get you to the right patch, followed by CC#70 to pick out the correct variation (unless you saved the patch to open up on the variation you want). does it not work like this?

leoleox

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Well spoken, some crucial things are lacking Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acidfever wrote:

me too

this is what i would like:

g2compact.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.86 KB
 Viewed:  24703 Time(s)

g2compact.jpg

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Well spoken, some crucial things are lacking Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

leoleox wrote:
this is what i would like:

Very Happy

I like that keyboard feature.

iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed that would be real sweet.

Those rhythm module style keyboards always seem to be more fun than 'proper' keyboards, maybe that's just me.

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Well spoken, some crucial things are lacking Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Acidfever wrote:

Me too. It's just what I need.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Wish List
Jump to: