electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals » electro-music 2005
Sound Crew Volunteers and PA Gear Loans Wanted
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:39 pm    Post subject: Sound Crew Volunteers and PA Gear Loans Wanted Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Greetings,

I've been appointed as the Sound Coordinator. Today, Howard, Greg, and I visited the CAC so I could inspect the facility with an eye on how best to set up sound systems in each performance venue. The venues are, in no particular order:
    Room A (in the basement)
    Gallery 1 (larger)
    Gallery 2 (smaller)
    Theater
    Upstairs
Each space will need a sound system. If you have gear that you are willing to loan (mixers, amps, speakers, mics, stands, cables, EQs, etc.) or if you wish to volunteer to operate sound systems during electro-music 2005, then please let me know in this forum. I will co-ordinate schedules as to who will be responsible for the PA in each room and make sure that all audio technical needs are met. I will need more than five volunteers so that nobody gets stuck running a PA 100% of the time.

If you are confirmed to perform, speak, or demonstrate, please come prepared to provide the PA with a stereo feed using your own cables. You'll need to tell me in advance of the festival if your output cables are balanced or unbalanced and what type of connectors they are, AMP or 1/4" phone. If you need any microphones and/or microphone stands, you need to let me know. Only the Theater's stage will have a monitor system in addition to House sound.

If you need non-PA gear such as synths, stands, power strips, voltage converters, or anything else, those are outside of my domain and you need to make sure that Howard and Greg know your needs.

This festival is going to be FANTASTIC!!!!!

Cheers,

--|_)| -----|-----()---------------------
-----------()----soundscapes.us/bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sparky_a

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Sound Volunteers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Billy. I posted in the volunteer forum (also) that I can help run sound for the evenings if you still need help. Preferably for an NM show 'cause that's why I'm coming up.
sparky_a

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Addendum Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can bring up a Behringer 2442 mixer and leave it for the weekend if that helps. The only problem is that I cannot leave Baltimore until 5pm Friday. Let me know. If there is someone coming through hewre earlier I can let them take it up.

Also: floor space still needed to sleep Friday and Saturday night. I'll need to leave at 7 am Sat for Virginia and return Sat eve for the concerts.

djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Sound Volunteers Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sparky_a wrote:
I posted in the volunteer forum (also) that I can help run sound for the evenings if you still need help. Preferably for an NM show 'cause that's why I'm coming up.
Outstanding. I can use all the volunteers I can get. I'll keep your desires in mind when I make up the schedule... which depends upon when Howard and Greg are able to tell me what the schedule will be for all the talks, demos, jams, and concerts. Any bits of gear that can't be connected and tested before the fun begins won't be in my primary gear plan. But please feel free to keep your mixer in the trunk of your car in case a need develops for a spare. It could happen and having gear on the secondary plan is equally as important as the primary plan.

As far as sleeping arrangements, there's nothing I can do to help. Perhaps if you start a topic where people can state their needs and others can offer their extra space, everyone will find accommodations.

Cheers

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
egw
Stream Operator

Audio files: 18
G2 patch files: 8

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Mark
Glad you can help out.
We will create a mailing list for all of the participants - that will be the place to exchange travel plans and accommodations etc.
I know that there will be several people coming up from the Baltimore area.
As far as NM related shows -
The schedule is not set yet, hopefully will be soon.
Performances that will heavily feature the Nord Modular include Xeroid Entity,
Rob Hordijk, Roland Kuit, and Ambiguous Nouns. Maybe a few others that I don't know about yet. Talks that are NM related include Rob Hordijk, Chet Singer, Dave Peck, and Dean Stiglitz. All of these will be scattered throughout the weekend. After I post the schedule you can work out your preferred time slot with Bill.
sparky_a

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Sounds Great! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. Any idea if the night performances will continue into the morning? I may not need to rent a room......
egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The shows will end at midnight.
sparky_a

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: End at midnight!? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd prefer to fall asleep to the sound of a smooth noodle at an all-night session! Anyone having a noodle party after the show Saturday night? Laughing
deknow

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i will bring my pa for use of the festival

2 mackie srm450's
1 allen and heath mixwizard 14:4:2+ (in an skb case)
xlrs, stands, extension cords...everything from the board out

i'm curious (as my previous mixer was destroyed by a sound company at my last gig) what the provisions are for gear that gets damaged...who will be running it, who will be responsible for it, etc. i can deal with almost any scenereo, i just want to know what it is.

deknow
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
i will bring my pa for use of the festival
2 mackie srm450's
1 allen and heath mixwizard 14:4:2+ (in an skb case)
xlrs, stands, extension cords...everything from the board out
Outstanding! Thanks. This helps a great deal. When is your arrival time?
deknow wrote:
i'm curious (as my previous mixer was destroyed by a sound company at my last gig) what the provisions are for gear that gets damaged...who will be running it, who will be responsible for it, etc. i can deal with almost any scenereo, i just want to know what it is.
Volunteers from our electro-music community will be running sound. (I still need more volunteers!) How in the heck did a sound company trash your mixer? Volunteers will be asked to keep levels at a reasonable volume and to keep food and beverages away from the gear so I can't imagine how gear could be misused at electro-music. If you set up your own PA (in conjunction with me), then no harn can come from wrong connections. I frown on power amps being fed into mixer inputs! Wink

Cheers,

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is a community event. It's great to see so much generosity.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
deknow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
How in the heck did a sound company trash your mixer?

...i generally mix the band on stage. i was using an inexpensive behringer board (that had worked flawlessly for 5 years or so), and everything worked fine unitl i pluged my xlr's into their snake. i'm not sure if they were sending phantom power, or if there was some other problem. i used a backup for the show (which had 1/4" outs, so it went through a di). for the next show, a couple of days later (our gear was left all setup), i borrowed another behringer mixer (a newer one), and again everything was working great until i remembered to plug in the xlr's...i realized what was happening and unplugged them before there was any permenant damage to that board.

the good news is, it was a high budget corperate gig, and they have agreed to pay for replacing the board. i (being a hopeless gear whore) used it as an oppurtunity to upgrade Smile

deknow
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
...everything worked fine until i plugged my XLRs into their snake. I'm not sure if they were sending phantom power, or if there was some other problem.
Strange. Which XLRs do you mean? The Behringer's inputs or outputs? At the other end, was the snake connected to something other than microphones? My Behringer and snake are slated for use in the theater so you should have no worries.

I use painter's tape (and a Sharpie) to mark my mixer inputs because it leaves no sticky residue and comes off easily. I plan on marking gear on loan to ID the owners. I also recommend that you make a list of the pieces you bring with their description and serial numbers. Keep a printout in your pocket. Better safe than sorry.

deknow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...it was plugging the _outputs_ of my mixer to the _inputs_ on their snake that caused the problem. this was a fully analog board and weird things were happening (ie, main bus stopped working, but if i muted a channel, it would come out on the left only in my headphone bus...and there were loud pops when muting, soloing, etc. again, i don't know if they had phantom power on, or if it had to do with the fact that we were running on generator power. whatever it was, it only happend when i connected my outs to their ins. in the end, i used the borrowed mixer with 1/4" outs into di boxes. i'm not sure how well that worked, as the sound was really, really bad the whole time (i have recordings from the board that show we should have sounded good, rather than like crap).

deknow
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
...it was plugging the _outputs_ of my mixer to the _inputs_ on their snake that caused the problem.
The thing about snakes is that they're just wires that have no electronics. By itself, a snake cannot supply phantom power. Something electronic must be plugged into the snake. A good sound tech would have made sure that the snake channels being used for the mixer outputs would be unconnected at the other end... and THEN connect only to an input of a power amp or frequency splitter. "Output feeds input" is a rule that should never be violated.
deknow wrote:
i don't know if they had phantom power on or if it had to do with the fact that we were running on generator power.
I am always suspicious when running off a generator. Additional power conditioning is highly recommended. Never exceed the power capacity rating of the generator. Turn off your gear and disconnect all your power connections from the generator before turning the generator off. Do not connect power until after the generator has started and stabilized. This was learned the hard way. A friend's MIDI Mitigator took a hit when a generator was powered up while everything was still connected. My power conditioner probably prevented other damage but was powerless to save the Mitigator's overly sensitive output driver chip... a known weakness in its design.

One point of reference: Output XLRs and input XLRs are different genders. Watch these closely when dealing with connections. Never change a gender without a very good, well thought out reason.

deknow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..the snake was connected to the inputs of their board. they claimed that there was no phantom power on my channeles, but these were the "helpers", and did not necessarily know what they were doing. this was a high paying, high profile corperate gig, so once we were able to get things to work, having arguments about what was going wrong, and who's fault it was not appropriate.

the reason for the generator is that the building is solar powered (the largest photvoltaic array in boston), and in some cases this can cause problems with the audio. the generators seemed to be run appropriately (they were located in a truck, and had been inspected by the city).

the most unfortuate part of the whole episode is that, in the end, the sound was bad, and it reflected poorly on us. i will be able to get some of those involved in booking us to hear by "off the board" recordings, so they will know, but the higher ups likely don't care, and will assume that we didn't play very well.

deknow
lord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Can help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DJ foxy

I can help with sound sometime (when I'm not playing) Sunday or Saturday. I'm not bringing any PA, but I am an engineer...
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can help Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lord wrote:
DJ foxy

I can help with sound sometime (when I'm not playing) Sunday or Saturday. I'm not bringing any PA, but I am an engineer...
Outstanding. Thanks for the help. What's your name so I can put you on the duty roster.

Cheers,

deknow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi bill,
...i've been figuring things out, and thought i would post an update. ramona and i live about 5 hours away. for fri, sat, and sun nights, we are planning to stay at the roosevelt. tentatively, i think we will leave early on friday morning (which of course, doesn't get my pa there until 10 or 11am).

if someone can provide crash space close to the center or on the way from leominster, ma (we have sleeping bags), and doesn't mind a late night arrival, perhaps after midnight (ramona likely is working on thursday), i can try to arrange to leave on thursday night to make setup a little more relaxed (we tend to wake up on the early side)....i'd just rather not spend the $70 for the extra night in the hotel.

the pa sets up very easily...the mixer is in an skb popup case, the speakers have stands and are self powered (srm450's) and LOUD. i have newish heavy duty extension cords and 50 foot xlrs. i don't have a manual for the mixer (a&h mixwizard 14:4:2+), and there are a few features that i'm not familliar with. there are 6 aux sends and 4 busses. lots of level led's so that gain staging within the mixer is easy. the speakers sound great to about 50-60hz, but doesn't really have a huge "subbass" (i wish i had a subwoofer).

in general, this setup sounds great....the speakers have good dispersion, sound like sweet monitors _and_ they are loud enough to project (there are also good limiters and low end rolloff to prevent clipping in the amps). most of the people i play with are incredibly tone-conscious, and have their sound worked out before they send me a direct signal....i've never found the need to insert an eq or reverb on the main bus, but perhaps some of the performers or engineers are used to a more traditional approach with graphic eq on the busses (the a&h can be patched up to insert a channel of it's eq on the output), or a reverb for a vocalist, or compressors on the inputs (there are inserts for everything)? i have some rack things that i can bring if you think they are necessary (behringer autocom compressor, microverb4, behringer ultragainpro..although i think the a&h pre's are at least as good), and a few cheap behringer mic's, and 2 sm58's (i don't have stands or clips for all of these)....and several newish 50'xlr's.

i'm also happy to volunteer for sound duty...i should say that i do know how to run a board, set levels, solve problems, etc. i don't have a lot of experience running mic's and monitors and such...and i definitely have never mic'd up a drumset. i say this because there are likely others who have those skills, and would be better suited for a more sophisticated setup if there are any.
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
i have some rack things that i can bring if you think they are necessary (behringer autocom compressor, microverb4, behringer ultragainpro..although i think the a&h pre's are at least as good), and a few cheap behringer mic's, and 2 sm58's (i don't have stands or clips for all of these)....and several newish 50'xlr's.

i'm also happy to volunteer for sound duty...i should say that i do know how to run a board, set levels, solve problems, etc. i don't have a lot of experience running mic's and monitors and such...and i definitely have never mic'd up a drumset. i say this because there are likely others who have those skills, and would be better suited for a more sophisticated setup if there are any.
Thanks big time! No need for the rack stuff but the mics and cables will come in handy. People running the PAs should have an easy time of it. They won't have to worry about outboard gear. The acts that need effects will have that at their mixer. All acts must provide either a mono or stereo line level feed. The volunteers running FOH will basically run all inputs at unity gain for the most part and watch that the overall volume is reasonable. So far, I'm unaware of any drum sets.

Cheers,

lord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm playing a drum set, but I haven't decided if it needs to be amplified yet. Probably not. It depends on how loud everybody else is Smile If it does, I guess I'll do the set-up.

The real question is whether there will even be mic lines from the stage?

Foxy, I'll email you.
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lord wrote:
I'm playing a drum set, but I haven't decided if it needs to be amplified yet. Probably not. It depends on how loud everybody else is Smile If it does, I guess I'll do the set-up.

The real question is whether there will even be mic lines from the stage?

Foxy, I'll email you.
I don't have suffient mics, stands, and cables to mic up a full kit. I do have a snake to get signals back and forth between the theater's stage and the FOH position.

Cheers,

egw
Stream Operator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

These rooms are not very large and the sound carries well.
I don't believe drums will need to be amplified.
We are going to try to keep the levels of everything reasonable.
I don't want to see anyone leaving because the volume is above the pain threshold.
I've been to plenty of shows where that has happened and I don't understand why anyone would want to play that loudly.

Please note however, that we want to make recordings of all the performances, so some consideration should be made for the acoustic instruments.
djfoxyfox
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egw wrote:
Please note however, that we want to make recordings of all the performances, so some consideration should be made for the acoustic instruments.
This is exactly why drum mics need to come to the FOH position. By sending these mics to a separate bus, I'd be able to record loud acoustic instruments without sending them over the mains. I might even be able to send them through the mains at a low level if the additional clarity that provides is needed.

This is why I will need a list of each act's performing specs that includes the venue in which they will play. By knowing this in advance, I'll be able to plan the PA for each room.

Cheers,

lord

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

In my opinion, the best live recordings are those with a 50/50 mix of straight feed from the board and traditional audience stereo mic. This may be too complex for us to swing, but it does a nice job of getting a clean signal to tape but still sounds "live". It would also pick up unamplified instruments.

Personally, I'd be happy with 100% audience mics, but I know a lot of the other acts would probably prefer a cleaner signal.
Page 1 of 2 [27 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » electro-music.com » electro-music festivals » electro-music 2005
Jump to: