electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
A very exciting thread about laptop music
Page 4 of 4 [97 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
windchill

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My original post, which incidentally was not the start of this thread, but has been sliced out of context into this one, presumably because the subject was deemed to have gone OT, was in answer to a question from chuck about what software he might use in a live situation. I pointed out how ableton live has very often been used very poorly and also spoke of my preference for not using solely pre-recorded audio at live events. I then went on to list some other software and hardware that I felt was more suited to real live performance. I think it was a valid, on-topic and potentialy useful answer to the question. I did not attack lap-toppers in general, which would be an utterly stupid thing to do and I do not necessarly agree with many of the comments that followed. For what it's worth I am also less than happy with the way this thread has been split off, given a sarcastic title, and the appearance that I somehow initiated it. The real angry lap-top debate that followed seemed to be more between Greg and Kassen and I was not involved.
Although my next gig involves no laptop - I will let you all know when I am next doing a laptop-only gig which I regularly do.
diskonext

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Windchill that there could be some clarification in the first post of this new-born thread, indicating it was split off around the point where Windchill made his comment (which now is the first post).

The title is not perceived by me as being sarcastic, but I can imagine that people could get a wrong first impression with this title and first post combination.

-diskonext

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry about this ungracefull split. We moderators will talk about it, I assure you. Thanks for your feedback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I did the spilitting and I confess I did it in a hurry. The interface for splitting of topics isn?t really that great and there isn?t really a good way shuffling of posts after a topic has been split. This is probably possible to do by manually editing the database entries. What we could do is to put in a red editors comment in the initial windchill post here.. and windhchill could copy his post and post it again in the first topic..?
Splitting topics can often be messy, but it felt like the right thing to do at the time. Anyways, the intial topic.. what software to use .. is still interesting and windchill?s post could just as well be reposted there.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..getting back to the laptop music .. what do we have here?

I asked some guys at work what they think laptop music is.. uh.. and I asked a few other guys too..

It seems that the answers indicate that laptop music is/can be:

1. Describing the laptop as a delivery platform for mixes, DJ sets.. and basic audio effects.
2. ..as a host for DAWs/software instruments.. and nothing else.. laptop music is a term that does not make sense at all..
3. ...compact.. portable ... everything in a box music making and performance tool.. what cannot go on the laptop is left out and left at home.. this can as such be a demanding genre .. some consider this to be in the same ballpark as the Von Trier Dogma movies..
4. ...music generated from the data flowing in the laptop.. and nothing else.. some consider this to be in the same ballpark as the Von Trier Dogma movies..

To me it seems that asking these questions created more confusion .. and two of the subjects I left when they were about to get into a fistfight over some small detail I didn?t quite get.

If we leave out the Von Trier stuff, we are pretty much left with the laptop as a host and delivery platform.. which basically puts it in the tools department. Unless one has very strong feelings about some subgenre subculture thingie, laptop music pretty much is as useless a term as synthmusic is these days.

So.. the intial thread that sparkd the topic split seems rather more interesting than exporing the laptop music term/genre.

In fact.. exploring this more in detail by discussing general compositional ideas / methods / ideologies seems also relevant.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
dmosc

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes! maybe the discussion was doomed to fragment because of the core nature of the name "laptop music" anyway. Perhaps this is as "on topic" as it could be!
diskonext

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I, personally, think that the most interesting aspect is the reasons for the frustrations some people have (as seen in this thread as well), and as explained in the article posted earlier.

To combat these prejudices it would suffice to bring loads of cardboard boxes, and loads of patchcables, synthstands and a wireless mouse, so you can pretend to be playing any of these "instruments" while still playing the laptop only Wink

-diskonext

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, yes.. I think so..

proposal: If we see the laptop as ..well.. whatever.. we are still looking at MUSIC and this is better discussed .. and the "I don?t like this" comments are also welcome.. if we discuss the music using a suitable framework.

"Laptop music" looks cool on posters but it really won?t do in terms of discussing the actual music. In terms of a minimal performance setup.. sure the laptop does has it limitations..and strengths but then we are back to discussing tools.. and minimal performance rigs in general.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diskonext wrote:
I, personally, think that the most interesting aspect is the reasons for the frustrations some people have (as seen in this thread as well), and as explained in the article posted earlier.

To combat these prejudices it would suffice to bring loads of cardboard boxes, and loads of patchcables, synthstands and a wireless mouse, so you can pretend to be playing any of these "instruments" while still playing the laptop only Wink

-diskonext

Very Happy

Trivia: People who are supposed to know these things are telling about TD and JMJ doing performances which basically are playbacks/sequenced. The artists are "miming" All that gear on he stage is just there .. the visual side of it.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
diskonext

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Added performance element for those brave enough to last the entire show:

When finished, open up the cardboard boxes, fold the synthstands, put stands and cables in boxes. Walk away with boxes.

Leave laptop with a glowing screen. Pick that up last. Wink

-diskonext

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
Would it perhaps be a idea to designate a area where we could discuss the interactive, realtime use of various types of software, techniques, aesthetics, good international trains that come with power outlets, etc.?
This is a important part of electronic music, after all; many of the great minds of computer music moved into this area as soon as they found their bearings.

Well, yes.. this seems to go in the direction of splitting this between "composition" and "tools" .. quite probably the right direction..

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

diskonext wrote:
Added performance element for those brave enough to last the entire show:

When finished, open up the cardboard boxes, fold the synthstands, put stands and cables in boxes. Walk away with boxes.

Leave laptop with a glowing screen. Pick that up last. Wink

-diskonext

One norwegian jazz dude recently confessed to me that he has been taking his powerbook with him on stage.. just to make his set seem a bit more exciting and modern .. Shocked

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

One norwegian jazz dude recently confessed to me that he has been taking his powerbook with him on stage.. just to make his set seem a bit more exciting and modern .. Shocked

Well, yes... brings back thoughts of the days when Moog Modulars were used as stage props. Rolling Eyes

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

..or digital pianos were put inside grand piano shaped cases Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:

Well, yes.. this seems to go in the direction of splitting this between "composition" and "tools" .. quite probably the right direction..

I think that´s overall a much better idea. Currently we have questions about "patching for live improvisation" in the G2 board which clearly isn´t confined to the G2.... Max/Msp fiend, Supercollider junkies and for all I care Tassman musicians have the exact same questions and I think the principles trancend wether you prefer substractive synthesis messing around with short buffers or modeled strings (respecively :¬) ).

Perhaps playing live should be a section next to composition and engineering; this makes a lot of sense to me.

Using a laptop as a guitar effect sounds completely sensible to me, b.t.w., I´ve been messing around with combining Live´s interal effects such as the grain delay and my Boss and Ibenez boxes and I think that works quite nicely. Latency is a problem, or so I thought, untill I realised that if it´s mainly delay and you tune by ear then latency doesn´t realy matter at all.....

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ahh, this thread it taking on a more appealing tone. Smile

If you consider equipment an electro-musician can use on a gig, then the laptop is up there at the top of the list. It has limitations, but it is easilly the most versatile pieces of gear available.

Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

No, no no no! That´s not apealing. Apealing is taking your Launchpad and theremin controler, getting those realy long cables and controll everything, laptop, modular and effect boxes included from your two person bed!

That´s far, far better then playing live. Also; by the time the only difference between the modular and Live is that the modular is MIDI channel 1-4 and Live is 5-8 even you yourself won´t care anymore.

:¬)

modulator_esp
Stream Operator

Audio files: 276
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know much about 'laptop music', but I'd have thought a laptop was a pretty open ended musical instrument/ system, with far more possibilities than even a modular synth and that the 'quality' of any music produced is as much dependant on the time and effort involved in preparation and performance as the choice of instrument (or software).

However, what do I know, the only time I've taken my laptop to a gig was to use it to edit my Nord Modular Smile

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
by the time the only difference between the modular and Live is that the modular is MIDI channel 1-4 and Live is 5-8 even you yourself won´t care anymore.

Ableton Live and the G2 would make a nice gig combination, but there are thousands of other nice combinations too.

Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:
By the way, there used to be this 60+ woman that would show up at Dutch teKno parties in squatted warehouses, dancing with small steps to dawn. It was a strange sight. Of cource it was also a statistical anomally.

Sorry to bring up an old post and get off-topic at the same time (what a feat!), but it's the same on this side of the world too! There is always the odd 50-60 year old dumpy woman dancing in small steps at any rave I go to. Once there was middle aged woman who was dancing in circles with her hands held up like she was ballroom dancing by herself Shocked. Some things you just don't want to see at 3am in the morning in an altered state of conciousness!

Regarding Ableton Live I think it's a great program for performing a preconceived live set, but for on the fly composing and such it works but it doesn't give desirable results. For example, whenever I try and compose music with Live, it's always got that "good enough" feel to it. Like when you drag a loop into live and it sort of works with what's there, you think to yourself "that's great that it works, I wasn't expecting it to" but if you go back and listen again you realise it sort of works but not exactly the way you want it to. Performing live with Live is worse if you don't have a decent idea for what you want the set to do, and a thorough knowledge of all of your samples and effect setups. It's the whole "that'll do" thing but times 10.

Live's best point is also it's worst - you can pretty much combine any audio with any other audio and Live puts it in time - there's no work involved. There's no time to think about how the audio could work together, to chop it up and re-arrange it, to apply subtle effects to help it blend in with the other sound. You drop in the audio, it's in time and in half a second it's in key which means that on some fundamental level it works. It's the whole instant gratification thing that lets it down. With music composition I usually find instant gratification isn't a good thing - the best results come from alot of time finding the right sound for the right location in the music and working on it to get it to work best. You really have to think about what you want to do with the sound and how you want it to work. If it works instantly then you accept it and move on. It may not work in the way you intended it to, but it still works.

This might be a reason why alot of Live sets lack any direction or any interesting movement. I like music that takes me somewhere, and music with some kind of focus. With alot of live sets you get a bunch of sounds that work together somehow, but every 2 minutes the direction changes and you never get anywhere. You never get into the music.

It's the same with DJ sets. I hate trance music, but once I saw Sasha play a few years ago (back when he was still a deejay and not a Livejay) and he played a truly amazing set. What made it good was the way it was put together - every track fitted perfectly with the next, but not only that, each track had a specific purpose and they all worked together to take the crowd on an amazing journey.

I think if people using Live took alot more care with loop/sample/vst line choice they could make some really interesting music. The problem is anything thrown into Live will work, and the sooner people get over the whole "I can drop in this organ riff and then grab this random funk drum loop and it works!", the better.

I personally plan to use Live in a couple of months time with my mate as a glorified sampler. All of our loops, sounds, basslines etc. are loaded in at once, and quantised to every bar, 1/8th note or whenever they need to be played. This means we can basically piece together the set on the fly and actually perform the music instead of tweaking a bit of cutoff here and playing the odd line there. The thing is - we're putting together the set how we want it first and then converting/bouncing down to live. Hopefully it will work well, but we'll see.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great post, except for the first paragraph. You never know when an odd dumpy 60 year old will be reading your post. Shocked Laughing
Page 4 of 4 [97 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: