electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
saw straight out of a 4046 bodge
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
mike page

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: saw straight out of a 4046 bodge Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you set a simple 4046 vco (like the one on hackaday) but put two capacitors in series for the timing cap, then measure the junction between them you have a good solid rising saw!

Try it out!
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nice, I never tried capacitors but you can do it with diodes:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mike page

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah cool! I wasnt planning on putting a buffer on my VCO in. Would you recommend it? Also (sorry if this is a silly question but) what does this do in tracker mode? Do you send a squared up audio source in and it latches to the pitch? Oh and what does the xor out do?!

Cheeerzzz
Cfish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice. mike. Just tried it.

I'm going on to try the Schematic PhoBos posted too.

Can anyone point me at the reason for using u1a as a ground reference that way? Don't think I have ever seen that done before.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mike page wrote:
Ah cool! I wasnt planning on putting a buffer on my VCO in. Would you recommend it?

well, it is not just a buffer although it does buffer it as well. The first stage (U1c) is a voltage summing amplifier or adder which adds the CV
with the offset voltage. Without a CV signal I can control the frequency with the offset control and with a CV signal I can add (you probably
guessed it) an offset voltage. However it does invert so the second stage (U1b) inverts it again so that a positive CV signal gives a higher
frequency. The schematic I posted is the VCO I used in my modular lunetta which is powered by a single supply, so the - is just the GND
connection. However a summing amplifier does need a reference voltage to work properly which is provided by U1a.
note: I later changed the circuit by connecting the level pot to this reference voltage as well instead of - which gives a much better control.
The way it is drawn in the schematic it would actually have an effect on the frequency when nothing was connected to it.

Quote:
Also (sorry if this is a silly question but) what does this do in tracker mode? Do you send a squared up audio source in and it latches to the pitch?

yep that is what it does, or at least it tries to latch on to it but usually fails miserably, creating a very nice effect and with the glide control you
can add a sort of wobble to it. (you can hear that in the track BugSquatch although for that one I used the wogglebug, hence the title, but it is the same principle)

Quote:
Oh and what does the xor out do?!

The XOR out uses the internal XOR gate as a digital ringmod which works together with the signal on the mod. input. pin 3 is the other input
which is hardwired to the output of the VCO.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mike page

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome, what alot of fun crazy crap on one chip!
Thanks so much for the thorough run down really helpful.
I was just planning on summing a freq/offset pot and CV source through diode or resistor mixing.

Now if only there was a fool proof way of turning that saw into a triangle!
Cfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have not tried this one, but it is on here. Saw to triangle converter

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-30667.html
mike page

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah cheers, I tried one of those and couldnt get it to work. I think im going to make digital stepped triangles instead and squish them with a capacitor.
Cfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm just a hack, trying to get a better grip on this.

Till now I have stayed mostly in the analog realm.

Would love to see what you come up with.
gabbagabi

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello mike,
i guess u have powered up your 4046 with +12 or +15V, so the saw is sawing only in the positiv region.
The Waveshapers are build for sawing saws that are crossing the zero line.

anyway the thread reminds me on something from the inventory, see annex

Unbenannt.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.5 KB
 Viewed:  638 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Unbenannt.png

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mike page wrote:
Ah cool! I wasnt planning on putting a buffer on my VCO in. Would you recommend it? Also (sorry if this is a silly question but) what does this do in tracker mode? Do you send a squared up audio source in and it latches to the pitch? Oh and what does the xor out do?!

Cheeerzzz

I would recommend the buffer. This is a high impedance circuit, so any loading can cause waveform distortion and nonlinear response to CV. I'd suggest a FET input opamp like TL07x.

I like the notion of using two capacitors to get the saw, but I'd still recommend the buffer. It would also seem that "matched" caps will give the best balanced waveform, but I've no idea how much it would matter. Matching the caps would be just randomly trying different ones (of the same marked value) until you get the best waveform on an oscope.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
zloth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello all, 1st post.
Been meaning to ask about the 4046, would it work if I put a chain of resistors between the positive voltage and the VCO so I could "play" it in a way similar to a stylophone?
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How flat is this saw shape? Does it remain flat at low frequencies? Is it the same amplitude at high frequencies?

Could you post some scope shots at ~60Hz, ~440Hz, ~1000Hz, 2000Hz?

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

zloth wrote:
Hello all, 1st post.
Been meaning to ask about the 4046, would it work if I put a chain of resistors between the positive voltage and the VCO so I could "play" it in a way similar to a stylophone?

you could do that but you probably need a resistor to GND too, so basically just a voltage divider with tabs, at least if you hook it up straight to the
4046 input. If you don't have a resistor to GND it would just control the current and with the 4046 being a CMOS chip the input is most likely very
high impedance and current control won't do very much.

welcome party!

zloth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the quick reply!
Yes, I later realised I would need a resistor to GND as effectively what I'm doing is making a "stepped starve" control, so instead of having one lug of a pot going to GND I would need an equivalent.
Another manual control for a 4046 I had thought of was a R/2R with one or more inputs controlled by momentary switches. Would this even work?
Talking of which, has anyone tried using more unusual types of input clock, such as Shift Register or even 7-Segment Driver, to create polyrhythms for a DAC?
Sorry for all the questions, still quite new to all this, I'm very much a traditional synth/sequencer person (still use a Korg M1 Laughing )looking for something to inject a little delicious "live" chaos but a more exciting than a plain vanilla APC, although I have had fun with various 4093 configurations.
Thanks again.
J-chot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, if I was running this off of a bipolar 12 volt supply, would I omit the U1a circuit and just tie 10 and 5 of the lm324 to ground?

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but it beats making a new one.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, BUT the 4046 will likely not survive a bipolar 12V supply. It might depend on the manufacturer but the datasheet I have here
specifies a maximum voltage of 20V, so you could use a bipolar 9V supply. Also connect the level pot to the (fake) GND as I did here.
This way the level pot doesn't affect the frequency when nothing is connected to the CV input.

J-chot

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can I run the 4046 off of + 12 ground, but also use the CV circuitry/opamp as bipolar?
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The schematic PHOBoS posted looks like it is set up to work with single supply. U1a is a virtual ground stabilizer. That circuit should work from +12 v. The + symbol on the schematic goes to +12 and the - symbol goes to PSU ground or zero volts.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

J-chot wrote:
Can I run the 4046 off of + 12 ground, but also use the CV circuitry/opamp as bipolar?

It depends a bit on the CV signals you want to use but you'll run the risk that the 4046 wil receive a negative voltage
on the CV input which it will not be happy with. There are ways to add an extra offset and prevent any negative
voltages from getting to the 4046 but then you might aswell go for a slightly more complex VCO that is actually
designed for a bipolar supply.

JovianPyx wrote:
The + symbol on the schematic goes to +12 and the - symbol goes to PSU ground or zero volts.

That is correct. When I started drawing the lunetta circuits I had battery power in mind and those have a + and - symbol on them.

J-chot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I've built it to spec, no negative rails
Everything on it works EXCEPT for my CV response. I get barely any change in pitch until I feed it close to 10 volts, then the 1.6v on pin 9 of the cd4046 jumps to 5.

Pin 1 is 5.58 (it's getting 11.4 so that sounds pretty good)
Pin 7 is 1.16 no matter how I twist the knobs.

Feeding it 0 to 4.6 volts with a sequencer.
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That sounds like one of the opamps is functioning as a comparator which means there is a problem with one of the feedback resistors.
What is the voltage range you get out of the last opamp if you turn the offset pot and have no CV connected ?

Did you measure the voltage on pin 7 with an oscilloscope ?

J-chot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, I THOUGHT I had found the problem, but it's not really improved much. I had connected the offset to ground instead of positive. Late night bonehead wiring error. I've checked the chip connections like, 80 times, feedback resistors just as much.....

CV response range (input) is NOW approximately from 3.27 to 7.89 I get a little more than an octave. (Like 1 step more)

Now with nothing plugged in, Pin 7 reads from 4.42 to 10 when I twist offset full range
The pitch now seems too high regardless. Flipping the "low to high" now puts it in the dog whistle territory.

I'm using a POS digital multi meter for these readings. ...seems a bit more accurate than my 1973 telequipment d61
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

are you using this version ?
You should be able to get close to 0V. 10V could be correct as the LM324 won't go completely to the positive supply
although I think it might be able to go a little bit higher. Also looking back at the schematic I'd replace the 47K resistor
connected to the offset pot with 100K or maybe even larger.

Maybe I have some time later to see what the range is I get here, should be more than an octave I think. And yes,
the high range can get pretty high, maybe replace the 22nF with 47nF or whatever you like.

btw I thought you meant pin 7 of the 4046 hence why asked about the oscilloscope.
I was already wondering why you were interested in that voltage Laughing

J-chot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried attaching that wire to both ground and the reference voltage. It seem to function better attached to ground.

I really appreciate all your help, I've been racking my brain figuring out what I did wrong. I suck really bad at the math part. In fact, I don't usually do that part.
Page 1 of 2 [29 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: