electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
modelling an fm patch from pluggo
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mattmumu

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: modelling an fm patch from pluggo
Subject description: patch modelling
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this question. I would like to model a particular preset from a pluggo plugin fm 4op, attached is the screen shot. For those experienced g2 modular programmers, is this particular patch a possibility, it is called film strip testtone. In other words as a total beginner should I even attempt it? it is just it would be nice not to take out a laptop just to run one or 2 sounds for live!

Picture 2.png
 Description:
an editor view of the plugin
 Filesize:  12.66 KB
 Viewed:  11323 Time(s)

Picture 2.png

Picture 1.png
 Description:
a graphical view of the plugin
 Filesize:  80.41 KB
 Viewed:  611 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Picture 1.png

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Everything is possible with the G2 - do you have more information about what a film strip testtone is, and maybe some illustration of pluggo's signal chain?

Regardless, you should always try stuff on the G2, that's what it's for. Smile You'll run into all kinds of happy accidents on the way.

/Stefan

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Like Stefan says, should be possible.

I don't have pluggo so I don't know what it is supposed to sound like. Here is a structural patch you can use for a start. Probably the tricky bit will be matching the envelope shapes and levels. One option would be to switch the pluggo patch to an algorithm where all operators go to the output, then audition each, one at a time.

FilmStrip.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  FilmStrip.pch2
 Filesize:  1.67 KB
 Downloaded:  2040 Time(s)

mattmumu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: fm 4 pluggo patch Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for this I will check it out, the only information I have about the patch, apart from hearing it are the 2 screen grabs I did of the preset.
mattmumu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: filmstrip testtone pluggo patch Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

Have only so much info from the pluggo interface, have tweaked the envelopes etc and frequencies. attached is the sound of the pluggo preset c note held down for a few seconds, then just played instaneously, likewise up the register and down. also attached the tweaked patch

film strip test tone C..mp3
 Description:
an mp3 of the pluggo preset

Download
 Filename:  film strip test tone C..mp3
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Downloaded:  740 Time(s)

filmstrip_559 ed1.pch2
 Description:
an edited version of the patch you kindly postted

Download
 Filename:  filmstrip_559 ed1.pch2
 Filesize:  1.67 KB
 Downloaded:  1618 Time(s)

ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for posting the sound sample. I assumed the numbers on the faders showed ratios but it sounds like it is using the other operators as lfo's. The G2 phase mod operator uses true Yamaha style FM which is actualy phase modulation. Pluggo does not sound as if it does FM the same. The good news is, you can just use multiple regular triangle lfo's modulating a regular triangle osc to emulate the patch.

You may get closer with this patch, sorry I don't have time to tweak it too much today.

anotherPatch.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  anotherPatch.pch2
 Filesize:  1.48 KB
 Downloaded:  2027 Time(s)

mattmumu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: filmstrip testtone pluggo patch
Subject description: recreating a plugin preset
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, Ian,

Thanks for posting this new patch, I am starting to get a handle on how to program and what to connect etc. The real issue with this sound is in creating the same settings, and more particularly the envelopes for each oscillator.
Is there a way of designing your own envelopes by building subroutines, using logic gates and an envelope with control inputs. I am not expecting someone to do it, I just wondered without me tearing my hair out, whther it is theoretically possible with the G2. I have emailed the pluggo designers of the preset, (hopefully they may get back to me) asking for some of the parameter settings, what frequencies, what time and gain factors for the envelopes, and whther there are any under the hood settings with the fm modulation.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: