electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
G2 Version 1.40 Released!
Page 3 of 7 [155 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, how much time do you guys spend Patching vs Mutating?

For me it is 90% patching & Manually creating variations, and 10% mutating.

Maybe this could be moved into a poll?
/Dasz
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Probably a bit early for a poll with a healthy sample!
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, Dasz, I probably spend the same amount of time patching/mutating, as well. (90/10)

I use the mutation as a way of exploring patches I've already designed and spent some time with adjusting 'by hand'. I also use the mutation to explore patches I haven't made any major modifications to in awhile... old or stale patches, for example. Sometimes the mutations will give me ideas for adding new controls or modifications to the existing structure.

Unfortunately, since many of my patches are not traditional VCO/VCF/VCA sturctures, the patch adjuster isn't as useful as it could be. Mod Rate adjustment almost always comes in handy, though. However, using the Timbre adjustment knob, for example, can totally wreck a carefully constructed DIY filter. I suggested to the Clavia team that the patch adjuster controls follow the mutation exclusions/or have their own module exclusions. Maybe eventually...
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven’t tried 1.4 yet, not much free time today. There are some projects where I think it will be valuable. I know that a long chain of FM modulators can produce the perfect cymbal sound; there are just too many interactive variables to tweak manually. So I’ll try this new feature and just listen.
Rob has a point about it not being a substitute for experience, but on the other hand, I have sometimes been amazed at sounds achieved by inexperienced people. They sometimes try things that make no sense, but still turn out sounding great.
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:
Probably a bit early for a poll with a healthy sample!

Yeah, it's a bit early for a poll, for you guys .... Wink
/Dasz
AngusHastie

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's fantastic for clueless people like me. I've already stumbled across some incredible sounds that I would never have arrived at through tweaking individual parameters. And it would take me ages to come up with so many great variations. This will absolutely revolutionise the way I use my G2.

Angus
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Am I crazy or does it sound better now? Some reworking of the basic audio stuff or maybe just a little tweak to the reverb or maybe just my imagination.
Seems to be an improvement in the upper mid - high range on old patches. Clearer and less fatiguing somehow.
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For me the interpolate is really usefull.

My midi guitar converter allows me to send out cc's depending on where on the string I pick, if I set this CC to 70 then when I play near the bridge it selects variation 1 and as I play up the string towards the fretboard it selects the other variations up to 8.

So I have a patch with two variations I like, put one in 1 the other in 8 and interpolate now depending where I pick I can smoothly morph between the variations, this is really excellent.

Cheers

Andy
deknow

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I can't stop playing with it.

joe, if you keep that up, you will go blind (and therefore not see the hair growing on your palms).

deknow
cebec

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Am I crazy or does it sound better now? Some reworking of the basic audio stuff or maybe just a little tweak to the reverb or maybe just my imagination.
Seems to be an improvement in the upper mid - high range on old patches. Clearer and less fatiguing somehow.

whoah, i thought i was the only one... and i didn't notice it until 1.4. the betas didn't seem to sound any different... i noticed it last night as i went through a lot of my old patches... hmm!
monobass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:
It's fantastic for clueless people like me. I've already stumbled across some incredible sounds that I would never have arrived at through tweaking individual parameters. And it would take me ages to come up with so many great variations. This will absolutely revolutionise the way I use my G2.

I think if they advertise this fact well they could definitely increase their potential customer base.

Despite telling someone just the other day that I still really liked the spectral osc's on the NM I think mutator is another nail in the coffin for that old beasty!

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:
[...] I think mutator is another nail in the coffin for that old beasty [NM: Jan] !

You could always run Palle's original MutaSynth on that old beasty I guess ... thats where it started more or less.

There is more to know about the muta subject and Palle.

AngusHastie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had some fabulous results from selecting a patch I like (works especially well in patches with sequencers controlling pitch etc.), randomising, picking one of the new sounds and then interpolating from that back to the original, then dropping all the in-betweeen steps into the variation slots. So long as you pick the "right" random starting point (i.e. the jumps are subtle enough and you've locked anything that's going to completely cripple the original sound), you can get some fastastic effects of sense-emerging-from-chaos as you switch through var 1 to 8.
monobass

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AngusHastie wrote:
I've had some fabulous results from selecting a patch I like (works especially well in patches with sequencers controlling pitch etc.), randomising, picking one of the new sounds and then interpolating from that back to the original, then dropping all the in-betweeen steps into the variation slots. So long as you pick the "right" random starting point (i.e. the jumps are subtle enough and you've locked anything that's going to completely cripple the original sound), you can get some fastastic effects of sense-emerging-from-chaos as you switch through var 1 to 8.

It would be fantastic if you could somehow convert a mutated variation to a morphed setting on another variation.. if you know what I mean.

I'd love to be able to do quick and easy morphing between variations.. I know currently there probably aren't enough morphs available for anything more than simple patches..

cebec

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

_ Steve _ wrote:

It would be fantastic if you could somehow convert a mutated variation to a morphed setting on another variation.. if you know what I mean.

I'd love to be able to do quick and easy morphing between variations.. I know currently there probably aren't enough morphs available for anything more than simple patches..

i know. i had the same thoughts as well. the ability to morph through mutations would be the icing on the cake.
AngusHastie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this sort of thing. Var 8 is the target, var 1 is the starting point and as you play you can just switch from 1 to 2 to 3 etc. and the melody gradually emerges.
Maybe there should be some unofficial system of tags in patch names to show what they are (like _int for an interpolated range of variations like this)? Sorry - a bit of a geek suggestion, but might be useful, especially if someone is using someone else's creation and wants to show that they've just mutated it (maybe _m or something...?)

marildotcom_int.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  marildotcom_int.pch2
 Filesize:  2.63 KB
 Downloaded:  1025 Time(s)

davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Yup, excluding individual controls is a big loss. /Dasz

Yeah. For example, I would think many folks would want to exclude osc tuning controls so you don't get random tunings, but still have it breed/randomize the other osc parameters like waveform select, shape controls, and FM amount. Darn it.

AngusHastie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
Yeah. For example, I would think many folks would want to exclude osc tuning controls so you don't get random tunings, but still have it breed/randomize the other osc parameters like waveform select, shape controls, and FM amount. Darn it.

I guess in that particular example, you can just lock the Osc Freq button on the mutator which will prevent frequency shifts but still change waveforms etc.
Joe Misra

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

deknow wrote:
Quote:
I can't stop playing with it.

joe, if you keep that up, you will go blind (and therefore not see the hair growing on your palms).

deknow

Pretty obvious setup Smile

cappy2112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec wrote:
_ Steve _ wrote:

i know. i had the same thoughts as well. the ability to morph through mutations would be the icing on the cake.

Has anyone tried sending CC #70 with the mutator window open ????
cappy2112

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
For me the interpolate is really usefull.

My midi guitar converter allows me to send out cc's depending on where on the string I pick, if I set this CC to 70 then when I play near the bridge it selects variation 1 and as I play up the string towards the fretboard it selects the other variations up to 8.

So I have a patch with two variations I like, put one in 1 the other in 8 and interpolate now depending where I pick I can smoothly morph between the variations, this is really excellent.

Cheers

Andy

How does the guitar know you are picking in a different location?
Is there an opto-sensor that detects right hand movement?
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regardless of how it worked in the history of the planet; evolution would work from the perspective of biologists while when we asume the outlook of the proponents of intelligen design it indeed doesn't work. Both are right from their own perspective; what matters is who's perspective is closer to reality.

To me a interesting question would be wether the combination of a G2 patch and a human clicking on his prefered variations would be more like how biologists look at the origin of the species or more like how the creationists look at the history of the species.

Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It would be nice if you were able to tell the mutator to mutate osc pitches by octaves... but i guess if you start putting in these special cases the GUI for the mutator will become messy after a while.

I solved the case above by excluding osc frequencys from mutation, and then routing a switch button output multiplied by 3 into the pitch input of the oscillator.

I have two different ways of approaching my G2: either I have a good idea of what sound I want to create, or I just feel like messing around with crazy module routings and see what happens. In the future, I feel that the mutator will be useful especially in the latter case.

/Stefan
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kassen wrote:

To me a interesting question would be wether the combination of a G2 patch and a human clicking on his prefered variations would be more like how biologists look at the origin of the species or more like how the creationists look at the history of the species.

Strictly looking at the current G2-human combination I would say it has creationistic features with limited evolutionary capabilities. No new structures can emerge, just variations on existing themes; the structure has to be created, just as the modules (were).
Wout Blommers

Audio files: 123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
_ Steve _ wrote:
[...] I think mutator is another nail in the coffin for that old beasty [NM: Jan] !

You could always run Palle's original MutaSynth on that old beasty I guess ... thats where it started more or less.

Unfortunately MutaSynth isn't freeware yet and I think it will never be, now it is implemented into the G2.

But one can always write to Palle and ask for it... Smile

MutaSynth works using Midi CC, so you have to assign these by hand.

Wout
Page 3 of 7 [155 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: