electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Weird problem with Nord Rack 3 unison (faulty RAM?)
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Weird problem with Nord Rack 3 unison (faulty RAM?) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

Seems that my Nord Rack 3 is starting to have serious problems Sad

Some days ago I turned it on and and found it makes weird digital noises, although it only happens if the UNISON function is turned on. Moreover, it doesn't happen always, it depends on the voices played.

As far as I know, the unison effect is created using several small digital delays which are detuned and hard panned to the left and right outputs. I'm suspecting there must be a faulty DSP or RAM chip, used to calculate the unison effect.

I have attached a sound file where the problem can be heard. The sound has been designed to emphasize the problem, and consist on 4 layers (using the CHORDMEM function) filtered and with much low frequency content. As you will hear, one every two sounds (in this particular sound) exhibit the problem while played.

I have still not contacted Clavia, and I fear they will tell me to replace the entire motherboard for just that problem.

Do you have any guesses or suggestions?

Nord Rack 3 unison problem.mp3
 Description:
unison problem test

Download
 Filename:  Nord Rack 3 unison problem.mp3
 Filesize:  803.1 KB
 Downloaded:  1305 Time(s)

msy2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Weird problem with Nord Rack 3 unison (faulty RAM?) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dorremifasol wrote:
Hi!

Seems that my Nord Rack 3 is starting to have serious problems Sad

Some days ago I turned it on and and found it makes weird digital noises, although it only happens if the UNISON function is turned on. Moreover, it doesn't happen always, it depends on the voices played.

Did you resolve this? My Nord Lead 3 keyboard has the same problem.
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to hear that :/

No, I haven't resolved it yet and I don't know what to do. Sad

msy2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm considering sending mine in for service.

The main issue is that the synth for me is still quite usable so it has not been a huge issue. Would like to get it fixed though.

I'll keep you updated if I get mine fixed.
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, I'll appreciate that!

Actually I was thinking about selling mine before I encountered the problem because I don't use it, but now I don't feel like selling it in this condition.

msy2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A few updates :

I spoke to the USA repair contact as well as another seller of Nord parts. Both had never heard of the problem before. One suggested I try to swap out the motherboard but no promise of a fix.

I have also noticed on mine that the problem seems to have lessened. I been using it a lot to program a new bank of sounds and the problem does not happen as often. When I first bough the Lead 3 (used) it happened continually and immediately. Lesson being that if you are having a similar problem with the Unison, try to just leave the synth on for a few days. Don't know how this could help unless there are some analog parts inside but on mine at least it seems to have cleared up a bit.

I have also learned that despite the Unison being a nice feature, the synth is still very, very strong without it. In my new bank I used the unison rarely. The synth is very beautiful on its own.
dorremifasol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cheers msy2, thanks for the update.

I have not used my NR3 lately (too much fun with a new Sub37 instead, yay!) but the last time I turned it on the problem wasn't there... until a few minutes later.

I'll do as you say and leave it turned on for a long time and see what happens. Maybe it's a problem of a bad solder joint. I know that some VGAs had problems of bad solder joints which were fixed by just putting them into an oven for some time. A friend of mine fixed one of them doing that, though I'm somewhat hesitant to cook my Nord!

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Nord Lead and Nord Wave synths
Jump to: