electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Experimental
Laptopia
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Laptopia Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is more experimentation with decades old ideas, rhythm processed by Serge style wave multiplier (mid section) then completely gushed by grain-o-matic. The solo voice uses the 2nd order PLL from the source of uncertainty (Buchla) and yet another grain-o-matic. The cheap sampler piano chord effect came accidentally from an experiment with audio rate PWM.

laptopic-Edit.mp3
 Description:
audio sample

Download
 Filename:  laptopic-Edit.mp3
 Filesize:  1.08 MB
 Downloaded:  1600 Time(s)

Lap.prf2
 Description:
experimental G2 perf

Download
 Filename:  Lap.prf2
 Filesize:  13.89 KB
 Downloaded:  1948 Time(s)

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Laptopia Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Here is more experimentation with decades old ideas, rhythm processed by Serge style wave multiplier (mid section) then completely gushed by grain-o-matic. The solo voice uses the 2nd order PLL from the source of uncertainty (Buchla) and yet another grain-o-matic. The cheap sampler piano chord effect came accidentally from an experiment with audio rate PWM.

This is very cool. Would you please point out:

1) what part is the Serge style wave multiplier?

2) what part it the garin-o-matic?

3) where is the 2nd order PLL? How does it work?

Thanks...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ian-s

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Howard

The Serge wave multiplier is in slot A VA, column 2. It simply consists of a SeqCtr and a rectifier. The SeqCtr is set up for half the transfer function and the rect mirrors the other half. The effect is blurred somewhat by the grain-o-matic in the VA. Change the output to 1-2 to bypass the grain effect. Its like distortion with a little PM, because the transfer function is static it works best with dynamic inputs.

http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/Circuitry/nlt.htm

The grain-o-matic in the FX section is like a pitch shifter module but uses much longer delay than the Clavia module giving time stretching or even backward type effects. It works by creating sine envelopes on 4 delay taps modulated by synchronised, variable slope ramps. I posted it a while ago in the FX section.

The source of uncertainty sub section is in slot C, it is based on the premise that summing noise directly into the integrator of a simple triangle oscillator behaves like a PLL, I cant seem to find the SynthDIY thread where I read this but the circuit consists of a home made triangle oscillator with noise injected at the integrator. A Schmitt trigger is formed by a comparator with feedback, the square wave output inverts the polarity of the ‘charge current’ producing the triangle. The end result is a source that varies from simple triangle to very random depending on the amount and colour of the noise.
Its only a very small part of the source of uncertainty and is not used in this way specifically in the original AFAIK.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 213
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, Ian. Very helpfull. thumb up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi Ian. I'm trying to isolate the schmitt trigger from the source of uncertainty but i'm not sure i'm taking all of the right modules. could you patch a generic schmitt trigger i could drop into other patches? i really don't know how to go about patching one, myself.
ian-s

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-6302.html

This is the building block the I extracted from the prf2.

If you are just after the schmitt trigger, it is just a comparator with feedback provided by a mixer.
A regular comparator (or compare module) will change state when the input voltage exceeds the threshold. The feedback provides hysteresis so that once the output goes high, the input voltage needs to go lower than the original trip point to change state.
A small amount of hysteresis is useful to reduce multiple triggers on noisy signals.
cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » G2 Performances - Experimental
Jump to: